Marcela Valladolid's apple pie recipe is scented with cinnamon and decorated with leaf designs. It's perfect for fall entertaining.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup (3.5 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 3/4 cup ice cold water
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup ground piloncillo (unrefined cane sugar) or packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
- 1 pound fuji apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
- 1 pound Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- Vanilla Ice Cream for serving
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 15x10x1-inch rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl mix 4 cups flour, salt and 1 teaspoon sugar. Using a pastry blender cut in the butter until it looks like coarse crumbs. Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time to moisten the dough and mix, repeating the process until dough starts to form. Knead the dough into a ball. Divide dough in half. Flatten into disks. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Lightly flour a surface, roll 1 disk of dough into a 19x13-inch rectangle. Place dough on baking pan. Ease dough onto pan and up to the sides. Make sure not to stretch the dough too much or it will become too thin. Fold dough as desired on the edges and trim the leftover dough.
In a large bowl combine 1/3 cup flour, piloncillo, cinnamon and apples slices. Toss until apples are coated. Place apple mixture on the dough and spread evenly.
On a lightly floured surface roll the remaining disk of dough, shaping it into a rectangle. With leaf-shaped cookie cutters, cut out dough into shapes. Place leaf-shaped pieces of dough on top of apple mixture. Arrange enough to cover the pie. It is okay to leave some space in between the leaves so you can see the apple filling.
Brush egg wash on top of the leaves.
Bake pie until crust is golden, about 40-45 minutes. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!