Canned chipotle chiles in adobo not only add heat, they add a subtle smokiness to this quick-as-lightening shrimp salad. Serve it slightly warm or chilled.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 8 ounces cleaned and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced (canned)
- Kosher salt
- 1 Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 firm but ripe Hass avocado, cubed
1. Heat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet and rub lightly with oil. In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, chipotle, ½ teaspoon salt and the oil. Grill the shrimp over high heat, turning once, until charred and curled, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Coarsely chop and transfer to a bowl; add the cucumber and mayonnaise. Gently fold in the avocado and serve with flat breads or salad greens.
Grace Parisi is a New York City-based food writer, cookbook author and food stylist. Her book, Get Saucy, was nominated for a James Beard award. Her latest book, Quick Pickles comes out in Fall 2016. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter.