Who doesn't love an ice cream cake? Only crazy people. Skip the store-bought cake (who knows how long it's been sitting in that freezer) and make your own! We cheat a little with the boxed cake mix, but let's keep that between us. Everyone else can just think you're a superhero.
It's hard to believe that even with baking cake layers, this dessert really only has 5 ingredients (not counting pantry staples like oil and sugar). Here's a little secret to pressing the ice cream into the cake pan: slice it into slabs, then cut to fit like a jigsaw puzzle. Smooth the seams. Easy peasy!
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 90 minutes plus overnight
- 1 boxed chocolate cake mix, prepared
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup, plus more for drizzling
- 2 quarts mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat the oven and grease two 8-inch cake pans. Prepare and bake the cake according to package instructions. Let cool completely. If the cakes are domed, slice bit off the tops so that the cakes are even. Then slice each cake horizontally in half so you have even 4 layers. Crumble one of the layers and set aside.
2. Cut a 26-inch by 3-inch strip of parchment paper and line the sides of an 8-inch spring form pan. Set one cake layer in the bottom and drizzle with half of the chocolate syrup. Top with half of the ice cream, spreading and pressing it into an even layer. Place the second cake layer on top and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons syrup. Top with the remaining ice cream and third cake layer. Wrap in plastic and freeze at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
3. In a medium bowl, whip the cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Remove the ring from the cake pan and peel off the parchment. Using a serrated knife, trim the edges of the cake so that they're even. Mound the whipped cream on top, sprinkle with cake crumbs and drizzle with chocolate syrup. Cut into wedges and serve.
Grace Parisi is a New York City-based food writer, cookbook author and food stylist. Her book, Get Saucy, was nominated for a James Beard award. Her latest book, Quick Pickles comes out in Fall 2016. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter.