Elevate ordinary chicken breasts into an elegant and easy one-skillet supper with a few spring vegetables, a touch of crème fraîche and a handful of fresh herbs.
- 1½ pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup hot chicken broth
- 1\2 cup fresh new peas
- 1/2 pound thin pencil asparagus, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
1. Cut the chicken breasts across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices and season with the salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the chicken to the hot skillet and cook for 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook the other side until done. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm.
3. Add the remaining oil and butter to the skillet. When the butter foams, add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Return the chicken to the pan with the mushrooms and stir to combine.
5. Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring it to a quick boil before adding the peas and asparagus. Simmer together for 2 minutes.
6. Add the crème fraîche, stir and simmer for 1 minute until heated thoroughly.
7. Add the chives and tarragon and stir to combine. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve immediately.