Yikes! Hoda gets 4,000 texts after revealing phone number on air
Hoda owned up to a very public mistake Friday, having some fun with a breach of privacy she created for herself the day before.
While demonstrating a Samsung wrist watch, Hoda accidentally flashed her personal cell phone number on air. The number appeared only for a second, but that was enough to send thousands of playful viewers to their phones so they could deluge Hoda with calls and messages.
Her voice-mail inbox became full within minutes, and she received more than 4,000 text messages by the end of the day.
"There were a couple of porn ones in there, which I kind of enjoyed," Hoda joked during a phone call Friday to TODAY's Savannah Guthrie before hosting the fourth hour. "But most of the others were just fun."
Here are just a few of texts Hoda received:
- “Your name autocorrects to Honda Hoda...”
- "Will u text me so I can show my friend she dont believe me and I bet her $20"
- "Don't feel bad about the phone # thing. How could you know it would just pop up like that?! Next time, use KL's phone. # Bestsegmentslipupever!"
- "Hi Hoda !! You goofed !! :-P"
- "Hi Hoda!! I'm so sorry that you let your number get out on the air but I wanted to let you know that Jeronda and Randy love you guys in Calhoun, Georgia!! Keep up the good work!!"
- "Just wanted to let you know that you and Kathie Lee are an awesome pair....you always make me happy to watch your show, now plz go get a new number!!!"
Ultimately, Hoda did get a new phone number, replacing the one she has had for the past 15 years.
“I’m an idiot, a complete and total idiot, and I’m embracing it!” she told Guthrie.