7 ways innocent eating makes you gain weightPlay Video
Give It Away: 5 lucky viewers win wine cooler, cork stool
Blake Shelton on Gwen Stefani, rumors he's leaving 'The Voice'
Give It Away! 5 viewers win Kenmore products from KLG and Hoda
This Cajun style burger is almost too hot for KLG and Hoda!
Mindless eating can result in consuming thousands of extra calories that may cause you to gain unwanted weight. TODAY health and diet editor Madelyn Fernstrom says avoiding the seven eating habits below may prevent you from gaining 14 pounds in a year.
1. Licking the leftover peanut butter on the knife when you make a sandwich - 50 calories.
(If you did this every day for 6 weeks, you'd gain 5 pounds)
2. Eating ice cream off the lid of a pint - 30 calories.
(If you did this 3 times a week for a year, you'd gain about 2 pounds)
3. Snatching five French fries from your child's plate - 40 calories.
(If you did this 4 times a week for 6 months, you'd gain around 1 pound.)
4. Consuming pizza crust from somebody else's plate - 80 calories.
(If you did this 3 times a week for 6 months, you'd gain around 2 pounds.)
5. Licking the spatula and bowl from the brownie batter - 65 calories.
(If you did this once a week for 4 months, you'd gain about 1 pound.)
6. Tasting mac and cheese while making it for your kids - 60 calories.
(If you did this 2x a week for about 6 months, you'd gain about 1 pound.)
7. Stealing a handful of potato chips from your husband's bag - 100 calories.
(If you did this 2x a week for about a year, you'd gain about 2 pounds.)
More From Today: How to Detox Your Body Naturally