Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey are famous for their vocal capabilities, but the intense back-and-forth that has recently erupted between the two "American Idol" judges is the main song people are hearing these days. So what's behind the rift?
Carey seems to be taking it seriously; as Barbara Walters noted on "The View," she's stepped up security following the reported threat Minaj made to shoot her.
Carey's husband, Nick Cannon, was diplomatic in a video piece from E! News' Jason Kennedy: "My wife's -- she's not moved by the theatrics or the pageantry, she's just there to do her job and help young people on this show we've all grown to love."
But is this a real feud -- or just a PR stunt? In an discussion Friday with TODAY's David Gregory, Donny Deutsch (who was joined by E! correspondent Alicia Quarles) was clearly incensed at the whole affair.
"I'm actually repulsed by it... What has happened to our culture that the only thing that can keep our attention for a TV show is when one woman supposedly says the other one 'I'm going to shoot the b---- if I have a gun?'" he asked. "The reason this shows 'American Idol' is over, it's done, is because the basic premise ... is no longer interesting. We have to now make it about these idiotic judges fighting. Which shows me this genre is over."
"Oh, come on, Donny," said Quarles. "It's great TV."
What do you think? PR stunt or actual feud? Let us know on Facebook!
- 'Idol's' Nicki Minaj slams claims she threatened to 'shoot' Carey
- Nicki Minaj curses out Mariah Carey during 'American Idol' auditions
- Seacrest: Few 'dull moments' with 'Idol' judges Minaj and Carey
- Will 'Idol' lose its edge with flashy, star-packed panel?
More in The Clicker:
- 'DWTS' set receives suspicious package, reportedly over Bristol Palin
- 'Teen Mom' Amber Portwood's daughter thinks mom's on vacation, not in jail
- Kate Gosselin: My marriage would have ended even without 'Jon & Kate Plus 8'
- Exclusive peek: 'Mythbusters' take on 'Titanic' test to see if Jack could have survived