Lawsuit brought by Shakira's ex-boyfriend dismissed
A Los Angeles Superior Court has shot down a lawsuit filed against "Voice" coach Shakira that had been brought by her former boyfriend Antonio de la Rua.
Shakira's ex has filed multiple lawsuits against her, hoping to establish a claim on her income; thus far none have moved forward.
A statement from Shakira was sent to the press by her reps, and read: "I am very grateful that the courts are not allowing these groundless lawsuits to proceed. I have moved on in my life and could not be happier now. I hope this harassment will now come to an end."
According to court documents, a lawsuit filed on April 12 involved a $100 million claim, in which De la Rua said he was behind her hits, including "Hips Don't Lie." This was on top of his $250 million lawsuit filed against her in New York last November.
The singer's lawyers had asked to dismiss the cases because California was an "improper forum" to hear the dispute, which involved Colombian (Shakira) and Argentine (De la Rua) citizens. The pair signed a prenuptial agreement for unmarried couples in 2006 and in that agreed that De la Rua would be unable to claim rights to her future income.
A second court in Geneva issued a ruling early in July against De la Rua, indicating that the prenup "decisively" concluded that they were never partnered legally.
"In a fifteen page well-reasoned opinion the Swiss court dismissed all of Mr. de la Ra's claims that he was entitled to any participation in Shakira's past, current or future business, brand or assets, including future income," the singer's attorney, Ezequiel Camerini, told E! Newsat the time.