Each TV season sees new shows come and old ones go, but some of the classics stick around. After 14 seasons, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" easily qualifies as a classic. Just don't tell the cast that.
The tightknit group, including Mariska Hargitay, Ice-T, Richard Belzer, Dann Florek, Kelli Giddish and Danny Pino, visited TODAY Tuesday morning ahead of their 300th episode and admitted that "SVU" just doesn't feel like an aging TV staple.
"I think the most interesting (thing) about it is that after 14 years, the show is completely reinvigorated," Hargitay explained. "And it feels to us, who have been here, fresh. ... And that's pretty exciting. Instead of being tired ... it feels truly like a new show."
Still, Belzer admits that there's something to be said about how much time has passed.
"Well, it's a dream for an actor to have the same job for one season, let alone 14," he said.
And in the case of Belzer's Det. John Munch, it's been even longer than that. Munch first made an appearance on "Homicide: Life on the Street" back in 1993. But it's Belzer's time with his "SVU" co-stars that he counts as special.
"We're blessed," he said. "We all get along. I know it may sound corny, but we have literally become a family. And Danny and Kelli have just joined the show in last couple of years. (They) must have set some kind of record for fitting in with our group."
Watch the clip above to see what else the cast had to say, and see them play a rousing round of "SVU" trivia. Catch even more from the "SVU" gang when the 300th episode of the procedural crime drama airs Wednesday at 9 p.m. on NBC.
- 'Law & Order: SVU's' 300th episode
- 'Law & Order's' 22-year love affair with celebrities rounded up in viral video
- Important legal lessons learned from crime-time TV
More in The Clicker:
- Gilles Marini's 'Dancing With the Stars' pro: His sexiness caused Carrie Ann's fall
- Snooki shoves frozen food down dress to beat heat on 'Jersey Shore'
- Carrie Ann Inaba falls out of chair after witnessing Gilles' moves on 'Dancing With the Stars'
- First look: Behind the scenes of 'Grimm's' Halloween episode