Ohio residents Jim Walpole, 79, and his wife Marilyn were visiting Canada when Jim stubbed his toe and fell into the street after leaving a restaurant. Something sharp sticking out of nearby scaffolding slashed his throat, and he began bleeding.
"The way he was spurting I thought it was the carotid (artery) or the jugular (vein)," his wife, who was trained as a nurse, told CBC News.
Fortunately, Malkovich -- in town to appear in the theatrical production of "The Giacomo Variations" -- was standing outside smoking a cigarette, and rushed over. He used his scarf to help stop the blood flow. (Malkovich wasn't alone; Chris Mathias, a doorman from the hotel and Ben Quinn, the owner of the restaurant where the Walpoles had just eaten, also stopped to help.)
"I was bleeding so bad on my neck, and Chris brought him a towel and John kept pressure on my bleeding neck and then Quinn kept me from turning over and made me stay there until EMS arrived," Walpole told the Toronto Star.
He didn't recognize the two-time Oscar nominee, however. "I asked, 'What's your name?' He said, 'John.' And I didn't ask the last name 'cause I didn't figure I'd remember it anyhow."
An ambulance took Walpole to St. Michael's Hospital nearby, where he was released after receiving 10 stitches.
While neither of the Walpoles think they've seen any of Malkovich's films, Marilyn plans to remedy that now -- perhaps during her husband's recovery period. "I'm going to watch all of them that I can," she said.