Two projects about former Secretary of State and first lady Hillary Clinton were canceled Monday.
The first casualty was the documentary at CNN. Charles Ferguson, who was set to direct the project, wrote in a blog post for The Huffington Post that he ran into many obstacles and pressures from people surrounding the Clintons, as well as Republicans and Democrats, and was thus ending his involvement in the project.
"When I approached people for interviews, I discovered that nobody, and I mean nobody, was interested in helping me make this film. Not Democrats, not Republicans — and certainly nobody who works with the Clintons, wants access to the Clintons, or dreams of a position in a Hillary Clinton administration," wrote Ferguson. "I even sensed potential difficulty in licensing archival footage from CBN (Pat Robertson) and from Fox. After approaching well over a hundred people, only two persons who had ever dealt with Mrs. Clinton would agree to an on-camera interview, and I suspected that even they would back out."
He went on to say that he decided to end the project because "I couldn't make a film of which I could be proud." Ferguson also called his decision a "victory for the Clintons, and for the money machines that both political parties have now become."
Later on Monday, NBC said that it would not be moving ahead with its four-part miniseries "Hillary," which was to star Diane Lane as the one-time presidential candidate.
"After reviewing and prioritizing our slate of movie/mini-series development, we've decided that we will no longer continue developing the Hillary Clinton miniseries," the network said in a statement.
The miniseries would have explored Clinton's life from 1998 to the present. Courtney Hunt, who was nominated for a best writing/original screenplay Oscar for her work on "Frozen River," had been tapped to write the script.