What are your thoughts on kids and screen time? Take our survey and let us know where you stand

Dog survives eating two pounds of onion rings, wins prize

Meet Winnie, the winner of the 2013 VPI Hambone Award.

Winnie, a mixed-breed dog from Mass., ate two pounds of frozen onion rings while her family was out. When they returned, they found both the empty bag and a very guilty-looking dog.

Had Winnie known better, a look of worry might’ve also crossed her face. Onions are toxic for dogs, and once the family realized it they rushed her to the vet.

Winnie made a full recovery, and this week also got something a little extra for making it through her trauma — a special bronze trophy in the shape of a ham bone.

The Hambone Award is given annually by VPI Pet Insurance as a way to educate pet owners about unexpected mishaps that befall household pets. (Past winners include Peanut, a dachshund-terrier who was buried alive by a skunk.)

This year, the competition for the award was fierce. The 11 nominees were chosen from more than the 1.1 million claims VPI receives annually, and the runners-up scored their own swag bags filled with toys, treats and an emergency pet kit.

Natasha was only six months old when she accidentally went through the wash.

Natasha, a Siberian Forest cat from Oakland, Calif., came in second place. The curious kitty survived an entire wash cycle in a washer and dryer. She was treated for shock and hypothermia, but survived to tell the tale.

Third place was awarded to Macie, a Labrador from El Cajon, Calif., who was out on a bike ride with her owner’s son when the leash became caught on the bike, causing it to run over her leg and cause a fracture.

Winnie’s survival could save the lives of other pets. The vet hospital that treated her will be awarded $10,000, which will be used to treat pets whose owners could not otherwise afford treatment.