Lobster with cheddar grits, homemade parfait for Mother's Day brunch
Mother's Day brunch: Lobster and gritsPlay Video
Nashville-style hot chicken to put you in the mood for love
Salted caramel chocolate tart: Food to get you in the mood
Super Bowl showdown: Burgers vs. barbecue!
TODAY anchors make their Super Bowl 50 picks: The snacks!
Chef Danielle Saunders whips up a healthy Mother's Day brunch that will surely be a hit. Make these shrimp and lobster grits, a fresh-pressed juice Champagne cocktail and a fresh muddled fruit parfait with strained Greek yogurt and homemade granola. Or just leave these recipes up where someone can see 'em, take a hint and pamper you.
Lobster, shrimp and stoneground white cheddar grits
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup Gluten Free Yellow Stoneground grits
- ¾ cup grated Wisconsin White cheddar
- 2 tbsp. fresh pressed virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Himalayan pink salt
- Lobster and shrimp
- 2 tbsp. fresh pressed virgin coconut oil
- 4 slices appewood smoked bacon, chopped or Uncured turkey bacon
- 1 lb. large shrimp (about 16) peeled and devained tail on
- Claw and tail meat of 2 Maine lobsters cleaned (medium pieces) save tails
- 1 cup chopped Andouille sausage
- Freshly ground black pepper/Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Creole seasoning to taste
- 1 cup assorted chopped bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves,finely chopped
- 1 large shallot finally chopped
- ½ cup tomato juice
- 1 cup seafood or vegetable stock
- ½ tsp. hot sauce, preferably Tabasco or Sriracha
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- Finely chopped parsley
1. In a 2-qt. saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and whisk in grits. Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Cook, whisking frequently, until grits are tender and creamy, about 25 minutes. Add some cream (Whisk in vegetable stock for thinning grits if needed ) Whisk in cheddar,remaining Coconut oil and season with salt to taste; cover and set aside.
2. Heat bacon of choice in a 12" skillet over medium heat stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside. Discard excess fat replace with herbed coconut oil.
3. Season shrimp and lobster with salt, pepper and creole seasoning. Over medium-high heat, add shrimp and lobster to skillet and cook, turning once, about 3 minutes. Transfer shrimp and lobster to a plate with a slotted spoon. Lower heat to medium; add shallots and assorted bell peppers, and garlic to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 minutes. Raise heat to high, add sausage and bay leaf, thyme sprigs and tomato juice, some vegetable stock until broth reduces by half. Return shrimp and lobster to skillet along with the remaining herbed coconut oil and dash of hot sauce, and scallions and parsley to finish Readjust seasoning if needed. Divide grits between 4 bowls; top each with shrimp and lobster its sauce. Garnish each bowl with crisped bacon, and micro greens of choice.
Serve family style.
Fresh-pressed juice cocktail/punch
Makes 2 servings
- 2 medium granny smith apple, cut into halves
- 1 large carrot
- 2 medium beets, cut into wedges
- 1 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cups chopped pineapple with skin and core
- 10 mint leaves
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 lemon
Working in this order, put apple, carrot, beet, lemon and lime, pineapple along with mint, and lastly the ginger through a juicer according to your juicer directions. Pour the juice into the glasses. Serve immediately.
Pour 2 ounces of the pressed juice mixture to champagne glass, then top off with your favorite sparkling beverage of choice.
Peach and blueberry parfait with homemade granola
- 3 cups old fashion rolled oats (NOT quick-cook or instant)
- 1/2cups almond slivers
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2cup fresh pressed virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups raisins and dried cranberries (combined)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
Mix oats, all nuts, flax seeds, vanilla,coconut palm sugar, agave, cinnamon, nutmeg and melted coconut oil, and reconstituted fruit In a large mixing bowl. Mix with spatula and eventually your hands to, Spread out onto a parchment lined sheet pan and bake for approx 40 minutes or until golden (stir after the first 20). Cool and break up any clumps.
Store in air tight container.
Yield: about 8 cups
Lemon Greek yogurt with fresh muddled peach and blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- stir lemon juice and zest into yogurt.
Add chopped blueberries, small diced peaches, minced mint, a dash of lemon juice, agave and coconut palm sugar to taste. Mix well so fruit breaks down.
To serve, set up glasses and layer with granola, yogurt and fruit mixture.