TODAY's Takeaway: TV's first live IVF, Biden's hot-water handshake
1. On day two of the #BornTODAY series, Dr. Nancy narrated as doctors performed an in-vitro fertilization procedure for the first time ever on live television.
Jessica Menkhausen and Derek Manion, both 33, made the decision to allow a TV audience to follow their story after struggling with fertility issues for nine years. This morning the doctors harvested Jessica’s eggs and then injected Derek’s sperm.
“I’m sure this is going to work,” Jessica’s doctor said.
2. Sian Green lost her leg when a taxi driver lost control and ran up on a New York City sidewalk. But despite the injury and five weeks in the hospital, the British tourist hasn’t lost her spirit.
“They saved my life," she told Matt of the people who rushed to help her. “If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t be sitting here right now telling this story.”
3. Vice President Joe Biden promised Al that the federal government won’t abandon Colo. flood victims after the cameras go away.
“If there’s a shutdown — and God forbid, there’s no need for a shutdown, man — if it were to happen, it will not affect any of the recovery work going on right now,” he said.
After talking seriously about the recovery process, the vice president admitted to getting into a bit of trouble back in January.
“I got in so much trouble for coming over in the inauguration day parade with you,” he told Al. “I got so much heat!”
4. The anchors taste-tested Burger King’s new lower-calorie fries – named “Satisfries” – this morning, and the discerning food critics had a lot to say about them.
"They're a crinkle slice of heaven," Matt said, while Al described them as "crispy on the outside, nice and creamy on the inside."
5. And the award for most creative dad in the entire world goes to... (drum roll)... BatDad! The TODAY's Take hosts applauded Blake Wilson, father of four, for his lesson-teaching techniques.
In his viral Vine videos, the superhero protects his family from bad table manners, unbuckled seat belts and more.
"You are a genius," Al said a few minutes into the chat. "I wish I had thought of that."
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!