1. When two 12-year-old girls were asked why they allegedly lured a third girl into the Wisconsin woods and stabbed her 19 times, they told police they aspired to be “proxies” of Slender Man.
Slender Man might be a mystery to adults, but to many kids, the online horror character is as recognizable as Dracula.
'Slender Man' stabbings shock townPlay Video
Man survives 3 days in overturned SUV after crash
Mars and Earth share a close encounter (just 47 million miles)
Verizon strike may end with agreement for pay raises, new jobs
Al Roker on gorilla shooting: 'It's easy to judge' the mom
2. Inspired by the social media scavenger hunt @HiddenCash, Al Roker is leading TODAY's own treasure hunt this week by hiding envelopes in major American cities. The prize: a trip for two to New York City, plus VIP tickets to the Toyota Concert Series on TODAY.
On Wednesday, Al traveled to Atlanta and encountered dozens of eager treasure hunters. Just six minutes after Al revealed the first clue, Kevin Howell found the prize at "Gone with the Wind" author Margaret Mitchell's house.
Atlanta man finds hidden TODAY treasure hunt prizePlay Video
TODAY's Sheinelle Jones looks back at her family history
Web Extra: TODAY's Sheinelle Jones and Dylan Dreyer prank their producer
Web Extra: Watch outtakes from Dylan and Sheinelle's intern experience
TODAY's Sheinelle Jones and Dylan Dreyer intern with Rascal Flatts
3. The Boss is still The Boss! New Jersey rocker Bruce Springsteen’s album "Born in the U.S.A." was released 30 years ago today, and in celebration of the milestone, Matt, Savannah, Al, Natalie, and Carson shared their favorite albums of all time.
'Born in the USA' album turns 30Play Video
Adele stops her performance to admonish filming fan
Is a hot dog a sandwich? Merriam-Webster says…
Scripps Spelling Bee is a tie (again)! Meet the winners
Red Nose Day: How you can donate to kids in need
4. "The Fault in Our Stars" star Laura Dern frequently hosts a couch-surfer in real life: Shailene Woodley, who plays Dern’s daughter in the film adaption of a young adult novel about cancer-stricken teens.
Dern stopped by TODAY on Wednesday to talk about her relationship with Woodley and the movie that brought them together. "Oh, it's full-on," Dern said of Woodley's use of her home as a crash pad. "She's there as much as she wants to be. My children love her so much, and they're (all) like family now."
Laura Dern on Shailene Woodley: 'She's so wise'Play Video
Should a dinner party have assigned seats?
Give It Away: 5 lucky viewers win a Microsoft Band 2
Summer salmon: Chef Ryan Scott makes it simple (but delicious)
Amy Schumer, Kate Hudson and Goldie Hawn are boat buddies
5. Want to have your day made? Watch as this deaf boy, age 7, communicates with a Dayton Dragons mascot in sign language.
6. Missed Savannah’s live Facebook chat on Wednesday morning? Catch up on what was asked, revealed and more!
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!