TODAY's Takeaway: 'Slender Man' stabbings shock town; Laura Dern dishes on couch-surfing
1. When two 12-year-old girls were asked why they allegedly lured a third girl into the Wisconsin woods and stabbed her 19 times, they told police they aspired to be “proxies” of Slender Man.
Slender Man might be a mystery to adults, but to many kids, the online horror character is as recognizable as Dracula.
'Slender Man' stabbings shock townPlay Video
Former Speaker Dennis Hastert indicted in hush money scheme
Laser pointers plague planes heading into JFK
Volcano erupts on Japanese island
Don't tread on me! DJ bitten by snake
2. Inspired by the social media scavenger hunt @HiddenCash, Al Roker is leading TODAY's own treasure hunt this week by hiding envelopes in major American cities. The prize: a trip for two to New York City, plus VIP tickets to the Toyota Concert Series on TODAY.
On Wednesday, Al traveled to Atlanta and encountered dozens of eager treasure hunters. Just six minutes after Al revealed the first clue, Kevin Howell found the prize at "Gone with the Wind" author Margaret Mitchell's house.
Atlanta man finds hidden TODAY treasure hunt prizePlay Video
Universal Orlando celebrates 25 fun-filled years
Kerry Sanders on search for great white sharks
Twinning: These pets and their owners look alike
Test your knowledge of famous summer movies
3. The Boss is still The Boss! New Jersey rocker Bruce Springsteen’s album "Born in the U.S.A." was released 30 years ago today, and in celebration of the milestone, Matt, Savannah, Al, Natalie, and Carson shared their favorite albums of all time.
'Born in the USA' album turns 30Play Video
This text message can shut down an iPhone
Odd campaign merchandise: Clinton 'pantsuit tee,' more
Upside-down flag shirt sparks outcry online
Comedy great Anne Meara, Ben Stiller's mom, dies at 85
4. "The Fault in Our Stars" star Laura Dern frequently hosts a couch-surfer in real life: Shailene Woodley, who plays Dern’s daughter in the film adaption of a young adult novel about cancer-stricken teens.
Dern stopped by TODAY on Wednesday to talk about her relationship with Woodley and the movie that brought them together. "Oh, it's full-on," Dern said of Woodley's use of her home as a crash pad. "She's there as much as she wants to be. My children love her so much, and they're (all) like family now."
Laura Dern on Shailene Woodley: 'She's so wise'Play Video
How to tell when someone is lying to you
His wife is 'ready for red carpet' after Ambush Makeover
Adrian Grenier: Here's what I look for in a woman
Chris Pratt teaches son Pledge of Allegiance (adorably)
5. Want to have your day made? Watch as this deaf boy, age 7, communicates with a Dayton Dragons mascot in sign language.
6. Missed Savannah’s live Facebook chat on Wednesday morning? Catch up on what was asked, revealed and more!
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!