TODAY's Takeaway: 'Slender Man' stabbings shock town; Laura Dern dishes on couch-surfing
1. When two 12-year-old girls were asked why they allegedly lured a third girl into the Wisconsin woods and stabbed her 19 times, they told police they aspired to be “proxies” of Slender Man.
Slender Man might be a mystery to adults, but to many kids, the online horror character is as recognizable as Dracula.
'Slender Man' stabbings shock townPlay Video
Obama mocks Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz at White House event
New Princess Charlotte photos released ahead of her 1st birthday
TODAY exclusive: Aboard the first US cruise to Cuba in 50 years
Bodies of two American climbers found in Tibet
2. Inspired by the social media scavenger hunt @HiddenCash, Al Roker is leading TODAY's own treasure hunt this week by hiding envelopes in major American cities. The prize: a trip for two to New York City, plus VIP tickets to the Toyota Concert Series on TODAY.
On Wednesday, Al traveled to Atlanta and encountered dozens of eager treasure hunters. Just six minutes after Al revealed the first clue, Kevin Howell found the prize at "Gone with the Wind" author Margaret Mitchell's house.
Atlanta man finds hidden TODAY treasure hunt prizePlay Video
TODAY's Sheinelle Jones looks back at her family history
Web Extra: TODAY's Sheinelle Jones and Dylan Dreyer prank their producer
Web Extra: Watch outtakes from Dylan and Sheinelle's intern experience
TODAY's Sheinelle Jones and Dylan Dreyer intern with Rascal Flatts
3. The Boss is still The Boss! New Jersey rocker Bruce Springsteen’s album "Born in the U.S.A." was released 30 years ago today, and in celebration of the milestone, Matt, Savannah, Al, Natalie, and Carson shared their favorite albums of all time.
'Born in the USA' album turns 30Play Video
See how Matt, Al, Savannah, Sheinelle and Dylan looked in the '90s
Kids take over Orange Room on Take Our Daughters & Sons to Work Day
Who is 'Becky with the good hair' in Beyoncé's 'Lemonade'?
Prince: See moving tributes from Tamron Hall, other celebs
4. "The Fault in Our Stars" star Laura Dern frequently hosts a couch-surfer in real life: Shailene Woodley, who plays Dern’s daughter in the film adaption of a young adult novel about cancer-stricken teens.
Dern stopped by TODAY on Wednesday to talk about her relationship with Woodley and the movie that brought them together. "Oh, it's full-on," Dern said of Woodley's use of her home as a crash pad. "She's there as much as she wants to be. My children love her so much, and they're (all) like family now."
Laura Dern on Shailene Woodley: 'She's so wise'Play Video
British comedian Jack Whitehall: I was rejected as Harry Potter
Slim down for summer: Tips and tricks for dropping winter weight
Luxe for less: Eco-friendly beauty and style products
Kate Hudson and Garry Marshall talk about new film 'Mother's Day'
5. Want to have your day made? Watch as this deaf boy, age 7, communicates with a Dayton Dragons mascot in sign language.
6. Missed Savannah’s live Facebook chat on Wednesday morning? Catch up on what was asked, revealed and more!
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!