TODAY's Takeaway: September 11 Museum opens; Tara the hero cat wins hearts
1. To mark the official opening of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum Thursday, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani joined Matt to talk about his experience seeing the project completed.
“It was very, very profound, very emotional — much more than I thought,” he said.
Rudy Giuliani: 9/11 museum 'profound, emotional'Play Video
The small town in New Hampshire looking for some electoral respect
Super Bowl 50 is here! Bob Costas gives us his predictions
Bernie Sanders joins 'SNL' as Democratic debate heats up
Republicans duke it out in New Hampshire debate
2. Turns out the hero cat who stole hearts by saving a boy from a dog attack in a now-viral video is actually very mellow.
"I think that dog did not know what hit him,” the boy’s (and cat’s) parents told TODAY.
Hero cat's family tells how she took on dogPlay Video
Meet the rescue dog who rescued Andy Cohen
#MakeADogsDay: Meet 3 dogs who are ready for adoption
Pamper your pooch without emptying your wallet
Watch TODAY's very own Puppy Bowl!
3. The parents of some super-smart children explained how they sent seven of their kids to college by age 12.
"We didn't have this great plan,'' mom Mona Lisa Harding told Matt Lauer. “It just kind of happened.”
Family sends their 7 kids to college by age 12Play Video
Super Bowl 50: Babies adorably attempt to predict winner
Watch boy battling cancer's sweet proposal to his favorite nurse
Fun ways to teach kids about money, chores, healthy eating, exercise
Potentially dangerous apps for kids, teens: What parents need to know
4. It’s Throwback Thursday! Or, as Matt explained, it's “Humiliate the Hosts Day!”
The anchors offered a blast from the past, showing off their graduation pictures. TODAY fans joined in on Twitter and Facebook with #CapAndGown.
Matt, Al, Natalie reveal graduation photosPlay Video
#BeforeFacebookI… Hashtag turns the clock back 12 years
Video showing the 'art form' of 'Grease: Live!' control room goes viral
'Sticker Kid' may be the true winner of the Iowa caucuses
Did Russell Wilson profess his love to Ciara via a Google search?
5. Maria Shriver introduced TODAY viewers to a sweet Texas couple who both have Down syndrome and have been best friends since childhood — now they are beating the odds and getting married.
“I want to marry her because I love her. She's my very own best friend,” Austin Underwood told Shriver.
Down syndrome couple find love against all oddsPlay Video
How to keep the romantic spark lit after the kids arrive
Romantic homemade goodies to make your Valentine's heart melt
The best weekend getaways for Valentine's Day romance, or family time
Tips to help reignite your love, Valentine's Day and every day
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!