Nov. 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM ET
1. When software engineer Patrick McConlogue saw a homeless man on the street, he offered him a choice: $100 or lessons in writing computer code. Leo Grand chose the lessons, and his life immediately changed.
“You give a man a fish, you feed him for a day,’’ McConlogue told Savannah. “You teach a man to fish, and you watch him change the world."
2. Andrea Stocking, a bride whose father died from pancreatic cancer before her wedding, received a surprise during the father-daughter dance: Her brothers and grandfather danced in his honor. The video has (quite understandably) gone viral.
“All of America apparently loves to watch me cry,” she told Natalie when she came on TODAY to talk about the video, shot two years ago — and drop some big news.
3. The wife of an 85-year-old military veteran who was detained in North Korea last month spoke out in an emotional interview, expressing concern for his health.
"One day is as hard as another,’’ Lee Newman told TODAY. “He just needs to be home, and we want him home for the holidays."
4. TODAY has highlighted the work of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital for a decade now, and this morning Kerry Sanders joined some of the children who have benefited from its care in Memphis to celebrate 10 years of success.
5. Ouch! Giada De Laurentiis joined Tamron in the Orange Room to talk about her weekend mishap — slicing her finger live on air during a Food Network Thanksgiving special.
“I think everybody kind of freaked out,” a bandaged Giada told Tamron before offering up safety advice.
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!