1. “The world remembers Nelson Mandela, a man who rose above hardship to free a country — and changed the course of history," Matt said at the top of this morning’s broadcast.
TODAY anchors, guests and viewers expressed their condolences for the anti-apartheid activist throughout the morning.
“Of all the people I've interviewed, I must say, he had a lingering effect on me,” Tom Brokaw said. “I knew I was in the presence of a great man, and it wasn't just the moment.”
2. "Authenticity is absolutely the key to a great tweet," Dick Costolo told Matt.
The Twitter CEO sat down for his first interview since his company (very successfully) went public. See what he had to say:
Twitter CEO reveals who he wishes would tweetPlay Video
Meet TODAY's Stephanie Ruhle: 'She's up for the challenge'
Amber Heard granted restraining order against Johnny Depp
Catch up on the biggest stories of the week with The Download
TSA lines move faster than expected as holiday weekend kicks off
3. Do you know what to get the techie in your life this holiday season? Katie Linendoll shared her favorite gifts this year, from speakers to chargers to — er — Twinkie makers.
Great tech gifts for the holidays under $100Play Video
TODAY anchors share their New Year's resolutions for 2016
It's Pictionary! Ball drop edition
A look at New Year's traditions around the world
How time zones around the world are celebrating New Year's
4. Al lost it on the plaza this morning when he spotted a TODAY fan wearing quite possibly the best Christmas sweater ever created — both coming and going!
5. Did you watch “The Sound of Music Live!” Thursday night? So did the folks at DiGiorno Pizza.
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!