TODAY's Takeaway: Remembering Mandela, Twitter's future
1. “The world remembers Nelson Mandela, a man who rose above hardship to free a country — and changed the course of history," Matt said at the top of this morning’s broadcast.
TODAY anchors, guests and viewers expressed their condolences for the anti-apartheid activist throughout the morning.
“Of all the people I've interviewed, I must say, he had a lingering effect on me,” Tom Brokaw said. “I knew I was in the presence of a great man, and it wasn't just the moment.”
2. "Authenticity is absolutely the key to a great tweet," Dick Costolo told Matt.
The Twitter CEO sat down for his first interview since his company (very successfully) went public. See what he had to say:
Twitter CEO reveals who he wishes would tweetPlay Video
Waiting on an email? How to know if you'll get a response
Nurse at NJ clinic reused syringe while giving flu shots
TODAY anchors weigh in on People's call for action on gun violence
Did Steve Jobs' widow ask DiCaprio and Bale not to do the movie?
3. Do you know what to get the techie in your life this holiday season? Katie Linendoll shared her favorite gifts this year, from speakers to chargers to — er — Twinkie makers.
Great tech gifts for the holidays under $100Play Video
5 New Year's Eve games to play (while drinking)
Hairstyles to help you dazzle on New Year's Eve
Creative holiday hacks to help ring in 2015
Holiday returns to top $20 billion
4. Al lost it on the plaza this morning when he spotted a TODAY fan wearing quite possibly the best Christmas sweater ever created — both coming and going!
5. Did you watch “The Sound of Music Live!” Thursday night? So did the folks at DiGiorno Pizza.
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!