TODAY's Takeaway: Nigella Lawson testifies, parents talk teens
1. Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson admitted in court Wednesday to using cocaine multiple times in her life, but called claims that she was a drug addict “absolutely ridiculous.”
The trial involves two of Lawson’s former personal assistants, who are accused of spending exorbitant amounts of her money.
Nigella Lawson testifies in fraud trialPlay Video
Death toll in Texas, Oklahoma flooding rises to 19
Texas flooding by the numbers
Jeff Rossen demonstrates live water rescue
Jim Bob Duggar's 2002 comments on rape surface
2. NBC News investigated a potential hazard to millions of Americans: plastic gas cans that can explode.
Scientists have tested the red containers – which many people use to fill lawnmowers, generators and snowblowers – after the government reported nearly a dozen deaths and 1,200 injuries.
Tests reveal potential hazards of gas cansPlay Video
Silo Moves to Preserve History, Create Observation Tower
Dog to Get New Prosthetic Leg, Thanks to Students
Rats Overrun "Critter Cafe" Animal Rescue
Vietnam Vet Surprised With Honorary Trip to Washington D.C.
3. Al asked if viewers wanted to see it, and you responded with a resounding “I do!”
When he found out that Matt Greenfield, a TODAY producer, had proposed to his girlfriend (and she said yes!), he urged viewers to tweet their demands to see the video of the big moment. Here it is:
Watch a TODAY producer pop the questionPlay Video
Test your knowledge of famous summer movies
Anchors compete in TODAY spelling bee
Willard Scott presents milestone birthdays
Natalie, Jenna Bush Hager go roller coaster riding
The consensus: An open line of communication is most important to them.
Parents advise on how to survive the turbulent teensPlay Video
Teacher learns lessons in love from son with rare disability
Toddler throws tantrum in front of President Obama
Watch: Adorable baby LOVES the sound of ripping paper
Author warns of the perils of overparenting
5. What was your favorite viral video of the year? Ray Charles, the blind golden retriever? The baby who cried when she heard her mom sing?
Vote for your top picks for the first-ever Orange Room Awards.
6. Tonight is the annual Rockefeller Center Christmas tree-lighting ceremony. Matt, Savannah, Natalie and Al will be there. Will you?
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!