TODAY's Takeaway: New Studio 1A, Navy Yard shooting, Miss America responds to racism
1. Welcome to the new Studio 1A!
What do you think of the new digs?
Welcome to America's new living room in Studio 1APlay Video
Willard Scott presents milestone birthdays: August 31, 2015
It's time to Give It Away! See which viewers won
Tamron Hall volleys with Serena Williams, Roger Federer
Willard Scott presents milestone birthdays: August 27, 2015
2. Tragedy in Washington: Navy Yard shooting rocks D.C.
Former naval petty officer Aaron Alexis sprayed an office building with bullets at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, killing at least 12 people in a rampage that paralyzed part of the nation’s capital, authorities said. It was the deadliest mass shooting in the United States since the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School last year. Tune in tomorrow on TODAY for the latest on this developing story.
3. While Savannah, Natalie, Al, Willie and Carson broadcast from the revamped studio Monday morning, Matt was live from Colorado, where floods have left more than 1,200 people unaccounted for.
Matt spoke with friends and family of Wesley Quinlan, a teen who jumped into the flood last week after his girlfriend, Wiyanna Nelson, was swept away. “They were my best friends,” said Emily Briggs, who was with Wesley and Wiyanna when the floods hit. “I feel like I watched them die.”
Teen couple swept away, killed in Colo. floodingPlay Video
Students Study Erosion Issue That Is Hitting Close to Home
Biologists ID Cause of Massive Bird Die-Off
Eruption Results in Shifting Earth Under Volcano
2010 Training Video: Surviving Inside Fire a Shelter
4. After three decades of silence, Samantha Geimer is speaking out. The woman who was at the center of sexual abuse charges against director Roman Polanski is now 50 and the mother of grown children.
“How do I feel about him? I hope he is well,” she told Savannah. "I was 13, that makes it rape. But I didn’t experience it that way.”
Roman Polanski victim: I'm telling story 'on my own terms'Play Video
Go inside the operating room during mom's kidney transplant
Mom's long journey for new kidney ends with donation from stranger
Joey Travolta makes films starring people with special needs
McDonald's switching to butter from liquid margarine
5. The crowning of the latest Miss America has generated a lot of hate on social media.
After she won over the crowd on Sunday night (thanks to a strong platform and fantastic Bollywood dance number), Twitter lit up with comments suggesting Nina Davuluri, the first Indian-American to win, was a foreigner or even a terrorist with ties to Al Qaeda.
New Miss America responds to racist commentsPlay Video
Bowie, John Legend among artists contributing to 'Spongebob' musical
Julia Roberts, her kids make rare public appearance
Melissa Rivers is wild, witty in 'Fashion Police' return
Don't loan money to friends if you want it back
6. Let's face it: The world has gone crazy for the selfie (including Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama and the pope). To celebrate the Orange Room’s debut, Carson Daly led an experiment: What if everyone took a selfie at the same time?
The result: #WorldwideSelfie trended nationwide (thanks, in part, to our anchors’ photography skills)!
7. Did you miss the TODAY Book Club meeting with first-time author Samantha Shannon? No problem! Catch up by watching Natalie interview "The Bone Season" author along with club members.
And that's TODAY's Takeaway!