TODAY's Takeaway: Navy Yard heroes, child donor, Mindy Kaling
1. An iconic image has emerged from Monday’s Navy Yard shooting in Washington: A civilian helping his blind colleague exit a building to safety.
The employee, Omar Grant, told TODAY about the ordeal.
"I couldn’t make out exactly what they were shouting, but I knew it was something serious,” he told Carson. “I told my colleague there that we were going to get out of the building, and I was going to help him because normally he’s got somebody with him there, and this morning he was all by himself."
Also making headlines after the shooting rampage was Dr. Janis Orlowski, who made an impromptu plea during a news conference Monday to end gun violence.
“It was direct from my heart. I meant every word of it,” she told Matt Tuesday morning. “I must have poked the underbelly, because I’ve gotten quite a few comments and phone calls and emails and tweets about it.”
DC doctor: I don't want be an expert on gunshotsPlay Video
Dragon boat races pair unlikely competitors
Search called off for two boys lost at sea off Florida coast
Killing of Cecil the Lion puts big game hunting into sharp focus
Family of Hannah Anderson's alleged kidnapper sues FBI for $20 million
2. The mystery boy who donated his savings – all $10.03 of it (in change) – to his local police department has been identified.
Eleven-year-old Max Siepert said he was inspired after learning in school what police and firefighters did to help on 9/11. He also is the grandson of a Milwaukee police officer who was killed in the line of duty in 1974.
“One day that’s going to make a difference,” Max said of his contribution. “It might not be a really big difference, but at least it’s something.”
Boy who donated savings of $10.03 to police ID'dPlay Video
Florida Spring Break Hot Spot Might Cancel the Party
Md. 'Free-Range' Parents Battle Child Protective Services Again
Ugly Christmas Sweater Trend Spreads Nationwide
Why Statues in Portland Are Dressed in 'Ugly' Christmas Sweaters
3. NBC’s Miguel Almaguer reached Jamestown, Colo., a town devastated by the area’s flooding, to speak to with victims who'd lost friends.
“We haven’t even had a chance to grieve our friend that died,” Anne Breiler told Miguel. “We’ve been dealing with survival.”
Colo. flood survivor: We haven't had time to grievePlay Video
Cellphone Video Appears to Show Ray Tensing in 2014 Traffic Stop
Good news for LaGuardia Airport
Ben Carson: Because of Trump, Less Focus On 'My Lack of Political Experience'
Man Describes Flight Path of Drone in Kentucky Dispute
4. Tom Brokaw’s wife of 50 years, Meredith, brought a skill she learned as a little girl in the Great Plains to the women of Malawi: canning tomatoes.
Three years later, Malawian women’s business of preserving the staple is thriving.
“The project is representative of what works here,” Tom said of his wife’s impact. “Not handouts, but local solutions to local problems.”
Meredith Brokaw sets up business in MalawiPlay Video
Oppah Muchinguri: Cecil the Lion's Death Sparked Outcry
Theo Bronkhorst, Honest Ndlovu (yellow shirt) Arrive at Hwange Court
Pres. of Zimbabwe Safari Operators Laments Loss of Cecil the Lion
Obama Ends Two-Nation Tour of Africa
6. Mindy Kaling, star of “The Mindy Project,” dropped by the plaza for a visit, and gushed over one of the show’s guest stars, James Franco. She also joked that the short ‘do she sported on it made her look “like a little Indian boy.” And what does that mean? You should watch her show.
Mindy Kaling: James Franco is 'dreamy'Play Video
Minister Comments On Amber Heard Dog Charges
ESPY Awards: The Red Carpet Readies for Caitlyn Jenner
Nick Cave's Son Dies After Cliff Fall
The Nerd Kingdom: See the Weirdest and the Wildest From Comic-Con
7. Also on the plaza this morning: affordable fall fashion! Vogue’s Meredith Melling Burke showed off some of her favorites from the magazine’s annual "100 Under $100 Guide." Did you catch that? Less than $100 from Vogue!
Vogue's very chic 100 under $100Play Video
Peace out to old looks on this week's Ambush Makeover
Goal! Athletic wear for under $50
Quick fixes for fashion (and other) emergencies
What is Kathie Lee's favorite lipstick?
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!