1. An iconic image has emerged from Monday’s Navy Yard shooting in Washington: A civilian helping his blind colleague exit a building to safety.
The employee, Omar Grant, told TODAY about the ordeal.
"I couldn’t make out exactly what they were shouting, but I knew it was something serious,” he told Carson. “I told my colleague there that we were going to get out of the building, and I was going to help him because normally he’s got somebody with him there, and this morning he was all by himself."
Also making headlines after the shooting rampage was Dr. Janis Orlowski, who made an impromptu plea during a news conference Monday to end gun violence.
“It was direct from my heart. I meant every word of it,” she told Matt Tuesday morning. “I must have poked the underbelly, because I’ve gotten quite a few comments and phone calls and emails and tweets about it.”
DC doctor: I don't want be an expert on gunshotsPlay Video
Hope to It: Moving company helps domestic abuse victims move on
Peyton Manning cleared of HGH allegations by NFL
NFL, player's union team up to battle concussions
Al Roker on Michelle Obama's DNC speech: 'You were blown away by it'
2. The mystery boy who donated his savings – all $10.03 of it (in change) – to his local police department has been identified.
Eleven-year-old Max Siepert said he was inspired after learning in school what police and firefighters did to help on 9/11. He also is the grandson of a Milwaukee police officer who was killed in the line of duty in 1974.
“One day that’s going to make a difference,” Max said of his contribution. “It might not be a really big difference, but at least it’s something.”
Boy who donated savings of $10.03 to police ID'dPlay Video
Creatures Invade Sydney Opera House
Florida Spring Break Hot Spot Might Cancel the Party
Md. 'Free-Range' Parents Battle Child Protective Services Again
Ugly Christmas Sweater Trend Spreads Nationwide
3. NBC’s Miguel Almaguer reached Jamestown, Colo., a town devastated by the area’s flooding, to speak to with victims who'd lost friends.
“We haven’t even had a chance to grieve our friend that died,” Anne Breiler told Miguel. “We’ve been dealing with survival.”
Colo. flood survivor: We haven't had time to grievePlay Video
California Delegate: Trump is The Only Candidate That Can Provide Opportunity for My Sons
Analysis: Trump Campaign Making Plagiarism Controversy 'More Difficult'
Donald Trump officially clinches GOP nom
YouTube Star Joey Graceffa Talks New Show, Coming Out
4. Tom Brokaw’s wife of 50 years, Meredith, brought a skill she learned as a little girl in the Great Plains to the women of Malawi: canning tomatoes.
Three years later, Malawian women’s business of preserving the staple is thriving.
“The project is representative of what works here,” Tom said of his wife’s impact. “Not handouts, but local solutions to local problems.”
Meredith Brokaw sets up business in MalawiPlay Video
Prince Harry and Elton John Speak at Durban AIDS Conference
Riot Police Lash Out at Striking Taxi Drivers
Aid Group Rescues Dozens of Migrants from Mediterranean Sea
Reeva's Cousin: 'I Didn't See Any Love' for Pistorius
6. Mindy Kaling, star of “The Mindy Project,” dropped by the plaza for a visit, and gushed over one of the show’s guest stars, James Franco. She also joked that the short ‘do she sported on it made her look “like a little Indian boy.” And what does that mean? You should watch her show.
Mindy Kaling: James Franco is 'dreamy'Play Video
Watch Oscar Pistorius Learn He'll Serve 6 Years for Murder
Oprah's Rule of Empowerment
Garrison Keillor's 'Prairie Home Companion' Run Ends Saturday
Hear What British Actors Have to Say About 'Brexit'
7. Also on the plaza this morning: affordable fall fashion! Vogue’s Meredith Melling Burke showed off some of her favorites from the magazine’s annual "100 Under $100 Guide." Did you catch that? Less than $100 from Vogue!
Vogue's very chic 100 under $100Play Video
See what KLG, Hoda's Favorite Things are this week!
John Cena: The 90s are still mad at me for wearing jean shorts
Chrome nails: Here's how to get the shiny new trend
Freaking out over fringe: Celine Dion gushes over Luxe for Less!
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!