1. An iconic image has emerged from Monday’s Navy Yard shooting in Washington: A civilian helping his blind colleague exit a building to safety.
The employee, Omar Grant, told TODAY about the ordeal.
"I couldn’t make out exactly what they were shouting, but I knew it was something serious,” he told Carson. “I told my colleague there that we were going to get out of the building, and I was going to help him because normally he’s got somebody with him there, and this morning he was all by himself."
Also making headlines after the shooting rampage was Dr. Janis Orlowski, who made an impromptu plea during a news conference Monday to end gun violence.
“It was direct from my heart. I meant every word of it,” she told Matt Tuesday morning. “I must have poked the underbelly, because I’ve gotten quite a few comments and phone calls and emails and tweets about it.”
DC doctor: I don't want be an expert on gunshotsPlay Video
6-year-old girl fights paralysis with new therapy
Natalie Morales rides surfer Kelly Slater's perfect wave machine
Wave of school bomb threats triggers lockdowns, evacuations
NFL tried to improperly influence concussion research, report claims
2. The mystery boy who donated his savings – all $10.03 of it (in change) – to his local police department has been identified.
Eleven-year-old Max Siepert said he was inspired after learning in school what police and firefighters did to help on 9/11. He also is the grandson of a Milwaukee police officer who was killed in the line of duty in 1974.
“One day that’s going to make a difference,” Max said of his contribution. “It might not be a really big difference, but at least it’s something.”
Boy who donated savings of $10.03 to police ID'dPlay Video
Florida Spring Break Hot Spot Might Cancel the Party
Md. 'Free-Range' Parents Battle Child Protective Services Again
Ugly Christmas Sweater Trend Spreads Nationwide
Why Statues in Portland Are Dressed in 'Ugly' Christmas Sweaters
3. NBC’s Miguel Almaguer reached Jamestown, Colo., a town devastated by the area’s flooding, to speak to with victims who'd lost friends.
“We haven’t even had a chance to grieve our friend that died,” Anne Breiler told Miguel. “We’ve been dealing with survival.”
Colo. flood survivor: We haven't had time to grievePlay Video
Nightly News Full Broadcast (May 24th)
Trump's $1 million lie
Clinton attacking Trump on housing crisis
Police: Missouri Dad Shoots at Wife, Kills Their Infant Child
4. Tom Brokaw’s wife of 50 years, Meredith, brought a skill she learned as a little girl in the Great Plains to the women of Malawi: canning tomatoes.
Three years later, Malawian women’s business of preserving the staple is thriving.
“The project is representative of what works here,” Tom said of his wife’s impact. “Not handouts, but local solutions to local problems.”
Meredith Brokaw sets up business in MalawiPlay Video
Freed Chibok Schoolgirl and Baby Welcomed by President Buhari
Egyptair MS804 debris spotted in Mediterranean
EgyptAir MS804 is latest in long string of Egyptian aviation woes
White House reacts to EgyptAir MS804 disappearance
6. Mindy Kaling, star of “The Mindy Project,” dropped by the plaza for a visit, and gushed over one of the show’s guest stars, James Franco. She also joked that the short ‘do she sported on it made her look “like a little Indian boy.” And what does that mean? You should watch her show.
Mindy Kaling: James Franco is 'dreamy'Play Video
Judge Rules Cosby Will Stand Trial
Who is Lecrae? The Artist Holds Nothing Back in Recent Memoir
See Bill Cosby Arrive at Court to Face Assault Charges
Actress Vanessa Hudgens Fined for Defacement in Sedona, AZ
7. Also on the plaza this morning: affordable fall fashion! Vogue’s Meredith Melling Burke showed off some of her favorites from the magazine’s annual "100 Under $100 Guide." Did you catch that? Less than $100 from Vogue!
Vogue's very chic 100 under $100Play Video
Gingham style: How to pull off the summer trend
Mom jeans, pajama shirts and other fashion trends: How to pull them off
Favorite Things: Dolly Parton DVD, beauty stick
How to do makeup like Kim Kardashian, J. Lo, Kate Hudson
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!