TODAY's Takeaway: Matt goes fishing, Olympic flag bearer beams
1. Nordic combined skier Todd Lodwick was beyond thrilled when he learned he’ll be the flag bearer for the U.S. Olympic athletes at Friday’s Opening Ceremony in Sochi.
“It was very much a personal moment for me and for sure my parents,” Lodwick told Matt on Thursday. “They’ve been a supporter of mine for God knows how long, since the Olympic Games started for me in 1994, so to have this honor is awesome. It’s so many emotions coming out.”
2. Which is better at the Olympics: Being the anticipated winner, or being the underdog? Lindsey Vonn knows firsthandhow intense the experience can become for athletes favored to bring home Olympic gold.
“It definitely adds to the stress and pressure,” Vonn told Savannah. “I would much rather be the underdog. You have more space. When you’re in the spotlight, the cameras follow you everywhere. ... It definitely makes things a lot harder.”
3. Matt got to enjoy a traditional Russian feast at a restaurant outside the hustle and bustle of Olympic Park. His meal included a cabbage dish, beef, beans, bread, beer — and a fish that he caught himself before taking a seat at his table.
“How could you, Matt?” Savannah asked. “You know that whole fish's back story, you know his hopes and dreams, and then you just ate him?" Matt’s reaction? “It’s good eating, guys.”
Lauer goes fishing for his dinner in SochiPlay Video
YouTube star shares sweet treat recipes
These burger hacks will heat up your grilling game
KLG, Hoda square off in 'Knife Fight' challenge
How to make juicy ribs for Memorial Day
4. Think fast: What’s your favorite Olympic movie of all time? With more than 3,000 TODAY viewers weighing in, “Cool Runnings” rose to the top of the heap. The TODAY anchors have other favorites of their own: Savannah loves “The Cutting Edge,” while Natalie adores “Chariots of Fire.”
TODAY anchors pick their favorite Olympic flicksPlay Video
Cost of forgetfulness: Americans lose $6K over lifetime
Here's one thing you need to get people to do your bidding
Artist sells other people's Instagrams for $90K
Has J. Crew lost its luster? Some think so
5. Author Kelly Corrigan explores a special relationship in her new memoir: the mother-daughter bond. In her younger years, Corrigan didn't think she had much in common with her mother — but when she had kids of her own, everything changed.
Author examines mother-daughter bond in new memoirPlay Video
Nick Offerman: My mustache is only a tool
Former Navy SEAL honors fallen comrades in 'Among Heroes'
DC Comics to Rihanna: 'Robyn' is too close to 'Robin'
Author empowers women to embrace their body
And that's TODAY's Takeaway!