TODAY's Takeaway: Matt goes fishing, Olympic flag bearer beams
1. Nordic combined skier Todd Lodwick was beyond thrilled when he learned he’ll be the flag bearer for the U.S. Olympic athletes at Friday’s Opening Ceremony in Sochi.
“It was very much a personal moment for me and for sure my parents,” Lodwick told Matt on Thursday. “They’ve been a supporter of mine for God knows how long, since the Olympic Games started for me in 1994, so to have this honor is awesome. It’s so many emotions coming out.”
2. Which is better at the Olympics: Being the anticipated winner, or being the underdog? Lindsey Vonn knows firsthandhow intense the experience can become for athletes favored to bring home Olympic gold.
“It definitely adds to the stress and pressure,” Vonn told Savannah. “I would much rather be the underdog. You have more space. When you’re in the spotlight, the cameras follow you everywhere. ... It definitely makes things a lot harder.”
3. Matt got to enjoy a traditional Russian feast at a restaurant outside the hustle and bustle of Olympic Park. His meal included a cabbage dish, beef, beans, bread, beer — and a fish that he caught himself before taking a seat at his table.
“How could you, Matt?” Savannah asked. “You know that whole fish's back story, you know his hopes and dreams, and then you just ate him?" Matt’s reaction? “It’s good eating, guys.”
Lauer goes fishing for his dinner in SochiPlay Video
Lazy days of summer: Food gadgets to simplify your kitchen
Martha Stewart bakes a perfect, savory tomato and zucchini tart
McDonald's answers prayers, will serve breakfast all day
Celebrate the end of summer with healthy fish tacos
4. Think fast: What’s your favorite Olympic movie of all time? With more than 3,000 TODAY viewers weighing in, “Cool Runnings” rose to the top of the heap. The TODAY anchors have other favorites of their own: Savannah loves “The Cutting Edge,” while Natalie adores “Chariots of Fire.”
TODAY anchors pick their favorite Olympic flicksPlay Video
KLG and Hoda share their favorite and least favorite months
Daniel Craig: James Bond should respect women
James Bond author apologizes for calling Idris Elba 'too street'
Marshawn Lynch sells skittles on a home-shopping channel
5. Author Kelly Corrigan explores a special relationship in her new memoir: the mother-daughter bond. In her younger years, Corrigan didn't think she had much in common with her mother — but when she had kids of her own, everything changed.
Author examines mother-daughter bond in new memoirPlay Video
Brené Brown shares the 4 key principles to being brave
See a tour of 'Dragon Tattoo' sights and scenes
'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' sequel raises controversy
'Friday Night Lights' author Buzz Bissinger looks back 25 years later
And that's TODAY's Takeaway!