1. Nordic combined skier Todd Lodwick was beyond thrilled when he learned he’ll be the flag bearer for the U.S. Olympic athletes at Friday’s Opening Ceremony in Sochi.
“It was very much a personal moment for me and for sure my parents,” Lodwick told Matt on Thursday. “They’ve been a supporter of mine for God knows how long, since the Olympic Games started for me in 1994, so to have this honor is awesome. It’s so many emotions coming out.”
2. Which is better at the Olympics: Being the anticipated winner, or being the underdog? Lindsey Vonn knows firsthandhow intense the experience can become for athletes favored to bring home Olympic gold.
“It definitely adds to the stress and pressure,” Vonn told Savannah. “I would much rather be the underdog. You have more space. When you’re in the spotlight, the cameras follow you everywhere. ... It definitely makes things a lot harder.”
3. Matt got to enjoy a traditional Russian feast at a restaurant outside the hustle and bustle of Olympic Park. His meal included a cabbage dish, beef, beans, bread, beer — and a fish that he caught himself before taking a seat at his table.
“How could you, Matt?” Savannah asked. “You know that whole fish's back story, you know his hopes and dreams, and then you just ate him?" Matt’s reaction? “It’s good eating, guys.”
Lauer goes fishing for his dinner in SochiPlay Video
Make this key lime pie for your Fourth of July
Crystal Pepsi is coming back for a limited time
Try this Fourth of July ice cream project with your kids!
Pepperoni rolls: Try this 'take it and go' meal for Fourth of July
4. Think fast: What’s your favorite Olympic movie of all time? With more than 3,000 TODAY viewers weighing in, “Cool Runnings” rose to the top of the heap. The TODAY anchors have other favorites of their own: Savannah loves “The Cutting Edge,” while Natalie adores “Chariots of Fire.”
TODAY anchors pick their favorite Olympic flicksPlay Video
Should kids be invited to weddings? Hoda Kotb is dubious
See Tom Hanks as 'Sully' in new Clint Eastwood film
Watch this awkward three-way handshake with Obama
New Apple tech could block concertgoers from snapping pics
5. Author Kelly Corrigan explores a special relationship in her new memoir: the mother-daughter bond. In her younger years, Corrigan didn't think she had much in common with her mother — but when she had kids of her own, everything changed.
Author examines mother-daughter bond in new memoirPlay Video
Best summer reads of 2016: 'Modern Lovers,' 'Girls on Fire,' more
Sebastian Junger reveals 'Tribe' will be his last book about war
Web extra: Sebastian Junger spent years writing 'Perfect Storm'
Author James Patterson talks new 'Alex Cross' project
And that's TODAY's Takeaway!