TODAY's Takeaway: Knox's ex on retrial, 'Breaking Bad' finale
1. An iconic image has emerged from the Nairobi mall massacre of a 4-year-old fleeing into the arms of a stranger: Abdul Haji, the son of a former Kenyan security minister.
“Abdul Haji and a group of just regular men… risked their lives and came in and rescued us,’’ the child’s mother told TODAY on Monday. “And it wasn’t just me: They went through the mall floor by floor, shop by shop, and got so many people out of the mall.”
Mom in Kenya siege: I was separated from my boysPlay Video
Former Speaker Dennis Hastert indicted in hush money scheme
Laser pointers plague planes heading into JFK
Volcano erupts on Japanese island
Don't tread on me! DJ bitten by snake
2. As the retrial of Amanda Knox and her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito began Monday in Italy, Sollecito described the “never-ending saga of a nightmare" he’s gone through since 2007.
“I don’t see any real future for me instead of standing in the trial, kind of forever,” he told TODAY's Savannah Guthrie.
Raffaele Sollecito: Murder retrial 'destroying my life'Play Video
Dennis Hastert Allegedly Paid Millions to Hide Sexual Misconduct
Arizona CAIR: Anti-Islam Protesters 'Not Accomplishing Anything'
Dustin Diamond: 'Things in My Book Aren't Necessarily True'
Dennis Hastert, Ex-House Speaker, Indicted on Federal Charges
3. Cover your eyes, Bridget Jones fans! Author Helen Fielding announced that the loveable heroine will be a widow in her upcoming sequel. Bridget lovers are (quite understandably) losing it.
Spoiler alert: Bridget Jones author kills off characterPlay Video
Viral engagement at wedding was bride's idea
Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch for sale
Kerry Sanders on search for great white sharks
Cost of forgetfulness: Americans lose $6K over lifetime
4. Planes aren't the only things taking off at Chicago's O'Hare airport: At the end of the runway, a bee farm called Sweet Beginnings has created 360 new jobs, providing employment and valuable job skills to ex-convicts.
"I needed a business where those former prison inmates could learn a trade — not with books, but with storytelling,” said Brenda Palms Barber, who started the company with a grant from the Illinois Corrections Department.
Bee farm helps redeem poor Chicago neighborhoodPlay Video
Kelli Garner talks 'The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe'
Pop Start: Bruce Jenner reported to appear on Vanity Fair cover as a woman
A look back at Kerry Sanders' great white shark hunt
Tracy Morgan to make first TV appearance since accident on TODAY
5. The finale of "Breaking Bad" aired last night and everyone’s sad about it – except Brooke Shields.
Brooke Shields: 'Breaking Bad' finale made me happyPlay Video
'Obviously': Spelling bee champ schools Natalie Morales
Doctor prescribes veggies to help patients heal
Get a sneak preview of Robert Redford's new film
Rashida Jones: 'Angie Tribeca' is a 'silly, silly' show
And that's TODAY's Takeaway!