TODAY's Takeaway: Knox's ex on retrial, 'Breaking Bad' finale
1. An iconic image has emerged from the Nairobi mall massacre of a 4-year-old fleeing into the arms of a stranger: Abdul Haji, the son of a former Kenyan security minister.
“Abdul Haji and a group of just regular men… risked their lives and came in and rescued us,’’ the child’s mother told TODAY on Monday. “And it wasn’t just me: They went through the mall floor by floor, shop by shop, and got so many people out of the mall.”
2. As the retrial of Amanda Knox and her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito began Monday in Italy, Sollecito described the “never-ending saga of a nightmare" he’s gone through since 2007.
“I don’t see any real future for me instead of standing in the trial, kind of forever,” he told TODAY's Savannah Guthrie.
3. Cover your eyes, Bridget Jones fans! Author Helen Fielding announced that the loveable heroine will be a widow in her upcoming sequel. Bridget lovers are (quite understandably) losing it.
Spoiler alert: Bridget Jones author kills off characterPlay Video
Teens spending heavily for perfect prom night
Hubble Space Telescope marks 25-year milestone
Take an inside look at the White House Correspondents' Dinner
Preschool for adults: Yes, this is a real thing
4. Planes aren't the only things taking off at Chicago's O'Hare airport: At the end of the runway, a bee farm called Sweet Beginnings has created 360 new jobs, providing employment and valuable job skills to ex-convicts.
"I needed a business where those former prison inmates could learn a trade — not with books, but with storytelling,” said Brenda Palms Barber, who started the company with a grant from the Illinois Corrections Department.
5. The finale of "Breaking Bad" aired last night and everyone’s sad about it – except Brooke Shields.
And that's TODAY's Takeaway!