1. In his heartfelt acceptance speech for his first MVP award on Wednesday, NBA superstar Kevin Durant called his mother, Wanda Pratt, "the real MVP" in a touching tribute. "I expected him to mention me, but I didn't know it would be to that magnitude,'' Pratt told TODAY in a live interview Thursday.
She also advised moms "to never give up, to always put your children first, to always commit yourself to their dreams, their aspirations and their goals even when it gets hard.''
Kevin Durant's mom: 'Always put your children first'Play Video
Want to drink on the job? Become the Smithsonian's 'beer historian'
Here's the big reason for small talk
Hot drinks may actually help cool you down
Surprising things you can do with your dishwasher (including cook food!)
2. According to the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, 40 percent of Americans say someone in their household has a tattoo. And one of them is Carson Daly.
The TODAY anchor revealed his eight tattoos in the Orange Room Thursday morning. And it turns out every picture on his skin tells a story.
Show and tell: Carson Daly reveals his inkPlay Video
'Young Bill and Hillary' Google searches spike 4,000 percent
#PrayForNice trends worldwide following terror attack in France
Dog scared of fireworks is soothed by iPad
Dad dresses daughter in overalls… but forgets her shirt!
3. Sixteen-year-old Grace Bush's goal is to become Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. And she's already well on her way.
Last Friday, one week before her high school graduation, Grace donned a cap and gown for another auspicious ceremony: Her college graduation. While completing her high school coursework on an accelerated schedule, she simultaneously earned a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice with a minor in Spanish from a Florida university.
“I think anyone my age can do what I did,” she told TODAY.com. “It’s not hard — it’s just hard work.”
4. In nearly five years of marriage to a Navy man, Maggie Coday has given birth to three boys, said goodbye to her husband for two deployments, and endured two cross-country moves. On Thursday, TODAY brought her to New York for what she thought was a story about what it’s like to be a military mom.
But then, as part of TODAY’s "Mom’s the Word" celebration, the surprises began. First, her husband, Chris Coday, walked out with flowers and gave her a big hug. Then Savannah Guthrie presented the couple with the honeymoon they never had: a seven-night vacation to Mexico. “That’s awesome!” Maggie said.
Navy dad surprises wife for Mother's DayPlay Video
Watch expectant mom reveal her baby's name live on TODAY
Stop summer brain drain: Keep your kids active with butterfly gardens, more
Summer family fun: Outdoor gadgets for kids of all ages
Kathie Lee and Celine Dion share sincerely about losing loved ones
5. Wichita Falls, Texas, is so dry that the city of 100,000 has built a 13-mile pipeline connecting its waste treatment plant directly to a second facility that purifies drinking water. That means treated wastewater will soon flow out of household taps.
Despite public officials' assurances that the water is perfectly safe, some residents are calling the process “toilet to tap” and have already switched to bottled water. "Just the very thought that you might be drinking your own wastewater is never comforting,” said one.
Drought forces Texas town to drink toilet waterPlay Video
Florida officer makes 6-year-old's day with bike surprise
See how this dog found his forever home after tragic abuse
Do budget airlines really save you money? Rossen Reports Live
John Hinckley Jr. to be freed 35 years after attempted Reagan assassination
And that's TODAY's Takeaway!