April 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM ET
1. Former President George W. Bush unveiled his paintings of world leaders exclusively on TODAY, including his most personal work: a portrait of his own father.
"I watched him very carefully through his presidency," Bush told his daughter, TODAY’s Jenna Bush Hager. "I always admired him as a man. It was a joyful experience to paint him. I painted a gentle soul."
Following the gallery tour, Former First Lady Barbara Bush got her first look at the George H.W. Bush portrait.
"That's my husband?!" she asked Jenna, Matt and Savannah with a smile.
2. While promoting his new movie, “Transcendence,” Johnny Depp revealed for the first time that he’s engaged to 27-year-old actress Amber Heard.
When Savannah asked if Heard was pregnant, Depp responded, "What do you think I am, a savage? It's not a shotgun affair.”
3. Our own Craig Melvin weighed in on the paternity leave debate that was sparked earlier this week when Mets star Daniel Murphy took time off to be with his wife and newborn.
4. Speaking of adorable babies: Hockey star T.J. Oshie shared news that his new baby girl is recovering from surgery for a birth defect.
“She’s adorable,” the Olympian told TODAY. “You catch yourself just holding her for two hours and looking at her the whole time."
5. Al’s been home most of the week recovering from shoulder surgery. The perfect antidote? A call from Vice President Joe Biden, of course.
6. Three-year-old Rylee Taylor was diagnosed with a rare eye disease after her mom posted a picture of her on Facebook.
“People talk about the perils of social media,” Matt Lauer said after hearing Rylee’s story. “Here’s a case where it worked, and it really had an important outcome.”
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!