May 22, 2014 at 4:54 PM ET
1. Elizabeth Smart joined TODAY to discuss the kidnapped California woman who was found alive, and advised her to fight giving into pressure to speak out.
“If you don’t feel like sharing your story yet, you don’t need to. We will still be here if, and when, you decide to share your story,” Smart said.
2. Former professional football players alleged the National Football League illegally obtained addictive prescription drugs to keep players on the field.
“We had painkillers before the game, we had painkillers at halftime, painkillers after the game,” former wide receiver J.D. Hill told Matt. “Then you would get beer. No one ever told us” about the effects.
3. Seth MacFarlane stopped by to promote his new movie “A Million Ways to Die in the West,” and barely made it through the segment without getting bleeped.
“I’ve always been a fan of the Western genre,” MacFarlane told Matt. “I thought if somebody could update that tone with a modern sensibility, it’s something that hasn’t been done before.”
4. Chaos erupted at one point in Studio 1A. See photos of the madness.
5. Joy and Jenna continued their quest to help TODAY fans cut and bun calories — in just 60 seconds.
6. After reading her latest blog post, you'll understand why Savannah doesn't plan to tell anyone what her favorite baby name is.
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!