Nov. 8, 2013 at 3:08 PM ET
1. Sir Richard Branson made an out-of-this-world announcement this morning: TODAY will televise the first commercial flight of Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo into space next August.
Branson and his two adult children, Holly and Sam, will be the first private passengers to travel into space. Mark your calendars!
2. It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas — on Rockefeller Plaza, that is.
The official Rockefeller Center Christmas tree made its way from the Vargoshe family's front yard in Connecticut this morning. The 12-ton elk – which is more than 13 Rockettes tall – will be lit on Dec. 4 during the annual lighting ceremony.
3. Head coach Tony Dungy told Savannah his former team, the Indianapolis Colts, had the chance to draft Richie Incognito in 2005, but passed because of his questionable character.
“That’s not to say he’s the guilty party in this,” he said. “I don’t know everything that happened there, but I do know the reputation that Richie Incognito had, and it wasn’t what we wanted in our locker room.”
4. Jessica Menkhausen and Derek Manion, the couple who underwent IVF on TODAY in September, saw and heard their baby’s heartbeat for the first time.
“It’s been such a long journey to get to this point,” Jessica gushed. “I’m just so excited – I’m so glad that we’re pregnant!”
5. Attention Savannah! Plucking gray hairs will not make more grow back.
After Savannah and Natalie saw a picture of Duchess Kate’s gray roots, Savannah confessed she doesn’t pull hers out. For the ladies’ sanity we did some research. Myth, busted.
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!