TODAY's Takeaway: Alzheimer’s high cost, real royal photos
1. Maria Shriver reported on the high emotional and financial cost of Alzheimer’s for the victims who don’t get as much attention: the caretakers. She interviewed Jim Crabtree, a man who for years took care of his wife suffering from Alzheimer’s and his elderly parents.
“My father shot my mother and then he shot my wife and then he shot himself,” he told Shriver. “It sounds like a horrible violent end, but in actuality it was a euthanasia that my father did. It was a great gift that my father was able to give me. He ended my Alzheimer’s and elder care issues at once.”
Alzheimer's burden brought caregiver triple tragedyPlay Video
Japan Approves Robot Suit
Attorney for OSU Crash Suspect: Toxicology Test Will Come Back Clean
Lawyer: OSU Parade Crash Suspect 'Suffers From a Mental Illness'
Easing Alzheimer's With Better Lighting
2. Thousands of candid photos of the royal family will soon be auctioned off, thanks to photographer Ray Bellisario (the man the British royalty to love to hate). Charles waterskiing, Anne boating, Elizabeth strolling — royals, they’re just like us!
Photographer captures royals in candid momentsPlay Video
German Commuter Trains in Deadly Head-On Collision
Trains Collide in Southern Germany
Huge Thundering Waves Pound UK Shores
Turkish Coast Guard Recovers Bodies of Drowned Migrants
3. Complaints are piling up against a popular furniture company from customers who (understandably) aren’t thrilled that the leather is peeling from their leather couches. Jeff Rossen investigated the grievances, including the warranty’s fine print that excludes “cracking and peeling.”
Rossen Reports: Leather sofas peel, customers complainPlay Video
What food expiration dates really mean, and which ones to stick to
Pig on a plane?! Airline passengers abusing rules so pets fly for free
NY Attorney General releases report on 'fixed' concert tickets
New tech could help save you in an office shooting: Rossen Reports
4. Want a raise in 30 days? It’s possible! At least that’s what LinkedIn’s Nicole Williams and giggle’s Ali Wing say. The career experts shared advice on how to land a raise – including 17 bonus tips on TODAY.com.
5. It’s a girl! The National Zoo revealed the gender and father of its pride and joy, the giant panda cub born two weeks ago to Mei Xiang and Tian Tian, one of two male pandas used to inseminate the cub’s mother. Bring on the pink!
6. Hoda had fun trying out Samsung’s new watch phone this morning, and accidentally displayed her own phone number in the process. In no time at all, the calls came pouring in.
Come on now, Hoda. Didn’t you learn from Kathie Lee’s mistake earlier this year?
Oops! Hoda accidentally shows America her cell numberPlay Video
KLG, Hoda (unsuccessfully) search for baby Jesus in Mardi Gras King Cake
Hoda and Jenna Bush Hager dig into Super Bowl cakes
Hoda remembers Jill Brzezinski-Conley's brave cancer battle
Cassidy Gifford enters the weird world of sports
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!