TODAY's Takeaway: Alzheimer’s high cost, real royal photos
1. Maria Shriver reported on the high emotional and financial cost of Alzheimer’s for the victims who don’t get as much attention: the caretakers. She interviewed Jim Crabtree, a man who for years took care of his wife suffering from Alzheimer’s and his elderly parents.
“My father shot my mother and then he shot my wife and then he shot himself,” he told Shriver. “It sounds like a horrible violent end, but in actuality it was a euthanasia that my father did. It was a great gift that my father was able to give me. He ended my Alzheimer’s and elder care issues at once.”
Alzheimer's burden brought caregiver triple tragedyPlay Video
Japan Approves Robot Suit
Attorney for OSU Crash Suspect: Toxicology Test Will Come Back Clean
Lawyer: OSU Parade Crash Suspect 'Suffers From a Mental Illness'
Easing Alzheimer's With Better Lighting
2. Thousands of candid photos of the royal family will soon be auctioned off, thanks to photographer Ray Bellisario (the man the British royalty to love to hate). Charles waterskiing, Anne boating, Elizabeth strolling — royals, they’re just like us!
Photographer captures royals in candid momentsPlay Video
Prince Harry Marks Countdown to the Invictus Games
Kerry Attends Peace Talks to Restore Syrian Ceasefire
Airport Departure Hall Bombed in Brussels Reopens
Leicester City Merchandise Flying Off The Rack
3. Complaints are piling up against a popular furniture company from customers who (understandably) aren’t thrilled that the leather is peeling from their leather couches. Jeff Rossen investigated the grievances, including the warranty’s fine print that excludes “cracking and peeling.”
Rossen Reports: Leather sofas peel, customers complainPlay Video
Rossen Reports live: How to stay safe in the water this summer
Watch how fast your selfie can cause a crash
Are designer sunglasses really worth hundreds of dollars?
Fitbit fitness trackers can reveal personal info to police, landmark case shows
4. Want a raise in 30 days? It’s possible! At least that’s what LinkedIn’s Nicole Williams and giggle’s Ali Wing say. The career experts shared advice on how to land a raise – including 17 bonus tips on TODAY.com.
5. It’s a girl! The National Zoo revealed the gender and father of its pride and joy, the giant panda cub born two weeks ago to Mei Xiang and Tian Tian, one of two male pandas used to inseminate the cub’s mother. Bring on the pink!
6. Hoda had fun trying out Samsung’s new watch phone this morning, and accidentally displayed her own phone number in the process. In no time at all, the calls came pouring in.
Come on now, Hoda. Didn’t you learn from Kathie Lee’s mistake earlier this year?
Oops! Hoda accidentally shows America her cell numberPlay Video
Dog's best friend: Watch this pup paw his favorite toys
Princess Charlotte poses in adorable photos
Hugging in the workplace: Should we embrace it?
Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! KLG and Hoda celebrate
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!