TODAY's Takeaway: Alzheimer’s high cost, real royal photos
1. Maria Shriver reported on the high emotional and financial cost of Alzheimer’s for the victims who don’t get as much attention: the caretakers. She interviewed Jim Crabtree, a man who for years took care of his wife suffering from Alzheimer’s and his elderly parents.
“My father shot my mother and then he shot my wife and then he shot himself,” he told Shriver. “It sounds like a horrible violent end, but in actuality it was a euthanasia that my father did. It was a great gift that my father was able to give me. He ended my Alzheimer’s and elder care issues at once.”
Alzheimer's burden brought caregiver triple tragedyPlay Video
Prosecutor: Mom Killed Boys to Keep Family to Just Self, Daughter, Husband
Trial of James Holmes Enters Closing Phase, Movie Theater Shooter Claims Insanity
Mysteries of the Brain: Searching for Answers
Family Fights to Keep Therapy Pigs
2. Thousands of candid photos of the royal family will soon be auctioned off, thanks to photographer Ray Bellisario (the man the British royalty to love to hate). Charles waterskiing, Anne boating, Elizabeth strolling — royals, they’re just like us!
Photographer captures royals in candid momentsPlay Video
Austrian Police: 'You Don't Keep Animals Like This', 26 People Found in Van
Desperate Journey: Refugees Risk Death In Search Of A New Start
Rescuers Battle to Resuscitate Migrants off Libyan Coast
Mark Moogalian's Wife Describes How Heroes Jumped Into Action
3. Complaints are piling up against a popular furniture company from customers who (understandably) aren’t thrilled that the leather is peeling from their leather couches. Jeff Rossen investigated the grievances, including the warranty’s fine print that excludes “cracking and peeling.”
Rossen Reports: Leather sofas peel, customers complainPlay Video
FTC sues controversial energy drink company that targets students
New tracking technology could change the way police catch suspects
Would you stop someone from using a fake resume at a job interview?
Hidden camera: Would you stop a drunk from getting behind the wheel?
4. Want a raise in 30 days? It’s possible! At least that’s what LinkedIn’s Nicole Williams and giggle’s Ali Wing say. The career experts shared advice on how to land a raise – including 17 bonus tips on TODAY.com.
5. It’s a girl! The National Zoo revealed the gender and father of its pride and joy, the giant panda cub born two weeks ago to Mei Xiang and Tian Tian, one of two male pandas used to inseminate the cub’s mother. Bring on the pink!
6. Hoda had fun trying out Samsung’s new watch phone this morning, and accidentally displayed her own phone number in the process. In no time at all, the calls came pouring in.
Come on now, Hoda. Didn’t you learn from Kathie Lee’s mistake earlier this year?
Oops! Hoda accidentally shows America her cell numberPlay Video
Turn that frown upside down! Little phrases that make a big difference
Ambush Makeover winner thanks KLG and Hoda - in rhyme!
This sweet photo of a dog and baby melted KLG & Hoda's hearts
KLG & Hoda celebrate National Toilet Paper Day
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!