TODAY's Takeaway: Alzheimer’s high cost, real royal photos
1. Maria Shriver reported on the high emotional and financial cost of Alzheimer’s for the victims who don’t get as much attention: the caretakers. She interviewed Jim Crabtree, a man who for years took care of his wife suffering from Alzheimer’s and his elderly parents.
“My father shot my mother and then he shot my wife and then he shot himself,” he told Shriver. “It sounds like a horrible violent end, but in actuality it was a euthanasia that my father did. It was a great gift that my father was able to give me. He ended my Alzheimer’s and elder care issues at once.”
Alzheimer's burden brought caregiver triple tragedyPlay Video
Mysteries of the Brain: Searching for Answers
Family Fights to Keep Therapy Pigs
Watch Man Play Guitar While Surgeons Operate on His Brain
Canines Greet Charlotte Air Travelers
2. Thousands of candid photos of the royal family will soon be auctioned off, thanks to photographer Ray Bellisario (the man the British royalty to love to hate). Charles waterskiing, Anne boating, Elizabeth strolling — royals, they’re just like us!
Photographer captures royals in candid momentsPlay Video
New Greek Finance Minister Sworn in
Feeling Bullish? San Fermin Festival Opens in Pamplona
See Princess Charlotte on Her Christening Day
Crowd Gathers at Sandringham for Princess Charlotte's Christening
3. Complaints are piling up against a popular furniture company from customers who (understandably) aren’t thrilled that the leather is peeling from their leather couches. Jeff Rossen investigated the grievances, including the warranty’s fine print that excludes “cracking and peeling.”
Rossen Reports: Leather sofas peel, customers complainPlay Video
Holiday tips for barbecue, outdoor food, pool safety
Keene, N.H. sues 'Robin Hoods' who feed expired parking meters
See how dangerous some fireworks can be: Live demonstration
Rossen Reports: How police dogs track criminals, find the missing
4. Want a raise in 30 days? It’s possible! At least that’s what LinkedIn’s Nicole Williams and giggle’s Ali Wing say. The career experts shared advice on how to land a raise – including 17 bonus tips on TODAY.com.
5. It’s a girl! The National Zoo revealed the gender and father of its pride and joy, the giant panda cub born two weeks ago to Mei Xiang and Tian Tian, one of two male pandas used to inseminate the cub’s mother. Bring on the pink!
6. Hoda had fun trying out Samsung’s new watch phone this morning, and accidentally displayed her own phone number in the process. In no time at all, the calls came pouring in.
Come on now, Hoda. Didn’t you learn from Kathie Lee’s mistake earlier this year?
Oops! Hoda accidentally shows America her cell numberPlay Video
Some husbands never see their wives without makeup
Demi Lovato takes a dive during a pool party performance
Hoda is shocked by all the crying on 'The Bachelorette'
Who topped the Forbes Celebrity 100 list?
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!