TODAY's Takeaway: Alzheimer’s high cost, real royal photos
1. Maria Shriver reported on the high emotional and financial cost of Alzheimer’s for the victims who don’t get as much attention: the caretakers. She interviewed Jim Crabtree, a man who for years took care of his wife suffering from Alzheimer’s and his elderly parents.
“My father shot my mother and then he shot my wife and then he shot himself,” he told Shriver. “It sounds like a horrible violent end, but in actuality it was a euthanasia that my father did. It was a great gift that my father was able to give me. He ended my Alzheimer’s and elder care issues at once.”
Alzheimer's burden brought caregiver triple tragedyPlay Video
Trial of James Holmes Enters Closing Phase, Movie Theater Shooter Claims Insanity
Mysteries of the Brain: Searching for Answers
Family Fights to Keep Therapy Pigs
Watch Man Play Guitar While Surgeons Operate on His Brain
2. Thousands of candid photos of the royal family will soon be auctioned off, thanks to photographer Ray Bellisario (the man the British royalty to love to hate). Charles waterskiing, Anne boating, Elizabeth strolling — royals, they’re just like us!
Photographer captures royals in candid momentsPlay Video
Baby Sloth Has Teddy Bear as a Surrogate Mother
Donald Trump: I'm Number One With Hispanics
Confrontation at Europe's Migration Battleground in Calais
Migrants Attempt to Enter the United Kingdom
3. Complaints are piling up against a popular furniture company from customers who (understandably) aren’t thrilled that the leather is peeling from their leather couches. Jeff Rossen investigated the grievances, including the warranty’s fine print that excludes “cracking and peeling.”
Rossen Reports: Leather sofas peel, customers complainPlay Video
Retailers agree to stop selling realistic toy guns in NY
Rossen Reports: What are your rights during a traffic stop?
Rental car alert: Popular chains renting cars with open recalls
Rossen Reports: How to stay safe from lightning
4. Want a raise in 30 days? It’s possible! At least that’s what LinkedIn’s Nicole Williams and giggle’s Ali Wing say. The career experts shared advice on how to land a raise – including 17 bonus tips on TODAY.com.
5. It’s a girl! The National Zoo revealed the gender and father of its pride and joy, the giant panda cub born two weeks ago to Mei Xiang and Tian Tian, one of two male pandas used to inseminate the cub’s mother. Bring on the pink!
6. Hoda had fun trying out Samsung’s new watch phone this morning, and accidentally displayed her own phone number in the process. In no time at all, the calls came pouring in.
Come on now, Hoda. Didn’t you learn from Kathie Lee’s mistake earlier this year?
Oops! Hoda accidentally shows America her cell numberPlay Video
Long live Luke: Anthony Geary leaves 'General Hospital' after 37 years
Hoda approves of 'Bachelorette' finale: 'I got a little teary'
Hoda reunites with fan who visited plaza 9 years ago
Whitney Cummings crashes KLG and Hoda, gets stuck while posing
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!