News

Police: Robert Wagner not a suspect in Wood's death

The investigation into Natalie Wood's 1981 death has been reopened, but police say her husband Robert Wagner is not a suspect in the actress' drowning.

Lt. John Corina told a news conference Friday that new information is substantial enough to take another look at the case. He said the information came from multiple sources.

This morning on TODAY, the former captain of the boat from which Wood drowned alleged that Wagner was responsible for the actress' death. Dennis Davern, who captained the couple's yacht, Splendour, said he was urging homicide investigators to look into the case.

"I made some terrible decisions and mistakes," Davern told NBC News' David Gregory. "I did lie on a report several years ago."

At the news conference, Corina was repeatedly asked if Davern could face charges for lying to police, but refused to talk about any possible arrests or even confirm if Davern had been questioned.

Wood's death will remain classified as an accidental drowning, Corina said, unless new information changes that.

When a reporter asked if Wood's body, buried in Los Angeles' Westwood Village Memorial Park, would be exhumed for the investigation, Corina said "I don't know if we're going to do that or not."

Wood's body was found floating off Santa Catalina Island off the coast of California. The death was ruled an accidental drowning. Also on the yacht was actor Christopher Walken, her co-star in the 1983 movie "Brainstorm."

Corina said he would not discuss whether Walken had been or would be interviewed as part of the investigation. He said that two homicide detectives had been assigned and would be pursuing the case and would be following up on leads and conducting interviews.

0:00
 
0:00
Your video begins in
0:00
TOP