March 20, 2014 at 8:04 AM ET
The discovery of possible wreckage from a Malaysia Airlines jet missing for nearly two weeks has set the girlfriend of one of the flight’s American passengers on edge.
“A friend called me with the information, and I don’t think I’ve stopped shaking since,” Sarah Bajc told Savannah Guthrie on TODAY Thursday. Bajc’s boyfriend, 50-year-old Texas native Philip Wood, was one of three Americans on board the missing plane.
On Wednesday, Australian authorities released information about two objects found in the southern Indian Ocean that may be linked to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which vanished without a trace on March 8.
Bajc, who was planning to marry Wood later this year, had been getting ready to move with him from Beijing to Kuala Lumpur when he disappeared in flight. Bajc said the latest news has disrupted a life that has been filled with false leads.
“We just finally settled in to a normal routine of waiting. Unhappy waiting but at least, we were going back to normal sleeping cycles,” she said from Beijing. “I’ve continued to teach at work and, now this just throws it all up in the air again.”
Bajc said she has been frustrated with the search, but not with authorities overseeing it.
“They can only give information that they have, right? So if they haven’t verified it, they shouldn’t be giving it to me,” she said.
But she expressed sympathy with other loved ones waiting to hear information about the plane’s fate.
“My heart just totally goes out to a lot of these families, because I have a strong support network around me, I have exposure to what these things all mean," she said. "I get ample access to good information and I’m in high stress, so these poor people, especially the ones here in China, who basically hear nothing because the news is also filtered for them and they’re all crammed together in this hotel.”