50 best employers for Baby BoomersPlay Video
Uber to phase out 'surge pricing'
New technology could help you avoid Memorial Day weekend traffic
Where to find the best beach weather for Memorial Day weekend
Hot summer getaways: Affordable vacation spots off the beaten path
According to AARP.com, by 2016, one-third of the total U.S. workforce will be age 50 or older, up from 28 percent in 2007. And as the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects the percentage of workers in their early 20s to decline, "attracting and retaining mature, experienced employees is becoming increasingly important for employers who seek to fill critical skill shortages and retain their competitive edge in today's marketplace."
So AARP and the Society for Human Resource Management have compiled a list of the best employers for people over 50.
Companies make the list for several reasons: They actively recruit, retrain and retain older workers. They offer terrific health and financial benefits including — in many cases — wellness programs for those 50 and over. Many offer opportunities for people who are retired to come back part time, or on a project that have limited duration, or work a flexible schedule — like a four-day week. Phased retirement programs are also a plus.
Here’s the complete list:
1. National Institutes of Health (NIH)
2. Scripps Health
3. Atlantic Health System
4. The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
5. Mercy Health System
6. The YMCA of Greater Rochester
7. West Virginia University
8. Bon Secours Virginia
9. National Rural Electric Cooperative Association
10. WellStar Health System
11. Cornell University
12. West Virginia University Hospitals
13. George Mason University
14. Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
15. Monongalia General Hospital
16. S&T Bank
17. Virginia Commonwealth University
18. FCCI Insurance Group
19. TriHealth Inc.
20. Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
21. Stanley Consultants Inc.
22. Southern Company
23. Yale-New Haven Hospital
24. Michelin North America Inc.
25. Department of Veterans Affairs-Veterans Health Administration
26. Saint Vincent Health System
27. Cianbro Corporation
28. SSM Health Care
29. Solix Inc.
30. Mountain States Health Alliance
31. Central Florida Health Alliance
32. Securian Financial Group
33. One Nevada Credit Union
34. Swarthmore College
35. MEI Technologies Inc.
36. School Board of Brevard County
37. Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center
38. Tufts Health Plan
39. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
40. Coconino County
41. Winston-Salem Industries for the Blind
42. BlueCross and BlueShield of North Carolina
43. Ochsner Health System
44. University of Pittsburgh
45. American University
46. Lee County Electric Cooperative
47. Massachusetts General Hospital
48. Pinnacle Health System
49. Perkins Coie LLP
More from TODAYMoney: