Recipe: ORZO SALAD WITH CORN, TOMATOES, AND BASIL
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 2 cups fresh yellow corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
The tiny pasta soaks up the vinaigrette as it stands. Ditalini or small shells also work.
1. To prepare dressing, combine first 6 ingredients in a jar; cover tightly, and shake vigorously.
2. To prepare salad, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain, and place in a large bowl. Spoon half of dressing over pasta; toss to coat. Cool to room temperature. Add the remaining dressing, corn, tomato, onion, and basil to pasta; toss to coat. Let stand 30 minutes.
CALORIES 312 (16% from fat); FAT 5.4g (sat 0.8g, mono 3g, poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 10.1g; CARB 59g; FIBER 5.1g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 2.9mg; SODIUM 318mg; CALC 27mg
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups).