Recipe: ORECHETTI WITH A HALF DOZEN HERBS
- 1 pound orechetti or other small pasta shape
- 2/3 (two-thirds) cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 (.5) cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 (.5) cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 (.25) cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 (.25) cup chopped fresh marjoram
- 1/4 (.25) cup chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 (.25) cup chopped fresh savory or chervil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Crumbled ricotta salata, to pass at the table
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add a large pinch of salt and when the water returns to the boil, add the pasta. Cook according to package directions, until al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, warm the olive oil in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. Add the shallot and cook just until translucent. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the herbs. Cook just until the herbs turn bright green, about 2 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper, to taste.
Drain the pasta and transfer to a serving bowl. Add the herb mixture and toss to coat the pasta. Taste for seasoning.
Serve the pasta immediately, passing the ricotta salata at the table.