Recipe: Black Bean-Garlic Sauce
- 1 cup grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 1/3 cup fermented black beans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 1/2 cup peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 bunches of scallions, white and green parts, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek or hot red pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat a wok or large sauté pan over high heat. Add 1/4 cup of the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the beans, garlic, ginger and scallions, and stir-fry until the mixture has softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the sambal oelek and wine, decrease the heat to medium and cook until the mixture is reduced by three quarters, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the salt and pepper.
Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool. Transfer half of the mixture to a blender and purée it at high speed while adding the remaining 3/4 cup of oil. Stir the purée back into the remaining mixture and cool completely. Use or store (lasts 2 weeks, if refrigerated).
Yield: about 3 cups