Recipe: Beef Satay
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut or sesame butter (tahini)
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice or vinegar
- 2 lb. beef tenderloin or sirloin, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
Mix together all ingredients except the beef. Add beef and combine in a bowl. Let sit for a while or overnight, refrigerated. When you’re ready to cook, start a charcoal or wood fire, or preheat a gas grill or broiler (the rack should be as close to the heat source as possible).
Thread the meat onto skewers without crowding. Grill or broil until browned all over, a total of 5 to 8 minutes. While the meat is cooking, bring the marinade to a boil and reduce it slightly. Serve the skewers hot, using the marinade as a dipping sauce.
Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 8 skewers