Recipe: BLUE CRAB BOIL
- BLUE CRAB
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 lemon, sliced thin
- 2 dozen LIVE hard-shell blue crabs
- BLACK OLIVE VINAIGRETTE
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup extra virgin oilve oil
- 1/4 cup black oilve tepenade (paste)
- black pepper to taste
- LEMON CHIVE BUTTER
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted, melted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- salt and pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, combine paprika, dry mustard, grated lime zest, thyme, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
Fill the bottom of a steamer pot with water and add the bay leaf and lemon slices. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Arrange one layer of crabs in the steamer basket and sprinkle liberally with the spice mixture. Repeat this process, ending with the spice mixture, until all the crabs are in the steamer basket.
Cover the steamer basket and steam the crabs until bright red (20-25 minutes.)
Place the crabs on a platter or directly on the newspaper lined table and eat immediately.
BLACK OLIVE VINAIGRETTE
Put the lemon juice in a bowl and while whisking, slowly add the olive oil.
Stir in the black olive tepenade and pepper to taste.
In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.