Recipe: Arroz con pollo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb chorizo, preferably Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/2 inch rings (see note)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1/3 pound total)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon chopped dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- One 14-1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoons long-grain white rice
- 6 medium shrimp (30-35 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup fresh shelled peas, or 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
Why deny yourself this Spanish casserole of chicken, sausage, rice, and shellfish just because you're cooking for two? Better yet, it can be simplified somewhat to make it a quick, weekday meal using boneless chicken thighs (instead of a whole cut-up chicken) and shrimp (instead of clams or mussels.) Keep the heat low so the rice doesn't stick.
Heat a 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the chorizo. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate lined with paper towels to drain; do not toss out the pan drippings.
Return the skillet to medium heat and cook the chicken thighs in the pan drippings for about 6 minutes, until browned, turning once. Transfer them to the plate with sausages. Again, do not remove any of the pan drippings from the skillet.
Stir in the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes over medium heat or until translucent and very fragrant, stirring frequently. Crumble in the rosemary, oregano, pepper and saffron, then stir in the tomatoes and rice. Nestle the sausage pieces and chicken thighs into the rice mixture. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
Stir in the shrimp, cover, and cook for 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the peas. Keep covered and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 2 servings