Recipe: Arborio Rice Pudding
- 1 quart plus 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¾ cup Arborio rice (the pearly, round, fat Italian white rice which formsthe foundation of risotto)
- 3 whole eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons orange flower water (available in specialty food stores)
- 1 cup chopped dates
1. Combine 1 quart of the cream, the milk and the rice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, or until creamy.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and orange flower water. Set aside.
3. Add a small amount of the hot liquid into the egg mixture, mix well, and add the rest. Stir in the remaining 1 cup cream and the chopped dates.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Pour the mixture into a 4-quart casserole. Place the casserole in a larger pan and put the pan in the oven. Pour enough hot water into the pan to fill it halfway. Bake the pudding for 40 to 45 minutes, or until set.