Recipe: Creamed Weenies
- 1 8-ounce package weenies
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 14-ounce package spinach, cooked and drained well
1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Bake the weenies for 10 minutes.
2. In a medium-size sauté pan melt 1 tablespoon of butter and sauté the onion until soft but not brown.
3. Add and melt 4 tablespoons of butter until foaming. Blend in the flour and cook over low heat for three minutes.
4. Whisk in the milk and cream, gradually, to avoid lumping. Continue stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth.
5. In a small bowl combine the egg yolks with a little of the sauce and beat lightly. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the sauce, beating constantly. Add the nutmeg salt, and pepper and continue cooking over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add the grated Parmesan, spinach, and weenies and serve.