Recipe: PMS Espresso-Chocolate-Walnut Brownies
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup cake flour or 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely ground espresso beans
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350. Spray 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Line the pan with aluminum foil and spray the foil with cooking spray. Spread the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder into small bowl. Stir in the ground espresso and set aside.
Fill a medium saucepan one-third full with water and bring to a simmer. Place the chocolate and butter in a large heat-proof bowl and set over the simmering water. Turn the heat to low. Melt the chocolate and butter, stirring frequently, until completely smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture just until flour is absorbed. Stir in nuts.
Pour the batter evenly into the pan. Bake until a crust forms on top and the center is still somewhat gooey - about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan, refrigerate 2 hours.