Recipe: Rosemary-Pecan Crusted Seitan
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup umeboshi vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup shoyu
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 8-10 seitan cutlets (about 1 pound), preferably homemade
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely ground pecan
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
This is a very versatile dish that we have made in many ways. In addition to coating the seitan cutlets with walnuts, you can also use pecans, sesame seeds, or pumpkin seeds.
Place the tomato paste, vinegar, wine, orange juice, shoyu, garlic, parsley, tarragon and rosemary in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the marinade over the seitan and marinate in the refrigerator at least 3 hours or overnight.
Mix the flour, salt, pepper, walnuts and rosemary together and place in a shallow bowl. Dredge the cutlets.
Heat the oil in a sauté pan and sauté the cutlets until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Serve at once with desired sauce.