Recipe: Italian Vegetable Soup
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed, coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed, coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 14.5-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- Coarse-grained salt and cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
In a soup pot, brown sausage and onion over medium-high heat. Drain off and discard excess liquid. Add tomatoes with juice, chickpeas, zucchini, basil, parsley, oregano, chicken broth, and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium-low heat until chickpeas are heated through, 6 to 7 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese and serve.
The recipe calls for 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, which isn’t a lot, but if you’re really trying to cut calories, grate the cheese over each bowl of soup. You’ll use less.