Recipe: Wild Rice, Sausage, and Cherry Stuffing
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice, picked over and rinsed
- 2-1/2 cups water, divided
- 4 slices low-carb white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 12 ounces sweet Italian sausage
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 celery stalks with leaves, finely diced (1-1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup dried sour cherries
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups lower sodium chicken broth
Combine wild rice, 1-1/2 cups of the water and a generous pinch of salt in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Heat oven to 350°F. Set bread cubes on a jelly-roll pan in a single layer. Bake, stirring once, until crispy, 10 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, remove sausage from casing; crumble into a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently to break up clumps, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Add to bread.
Return skillet to medium heat; add butter. When melted, add celery and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add to bread mixture, then stir in parsley, cherries, poultry seasoning, pepper and wild rice. Mix well. Stir in 1 cup of the chicken broth; add more if the stuffing still looks dry.
Transfer the stuffing to a large baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, then uncover and continue baking until lightly browned and heated through, 15 minutes longer.
Servings 8, plus leftovers