Recipe: Farmed West Coast Oysters With Cucumber-Ginger Mignonette and Wasabi Caviar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1/2 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 large seedless gourmet cucumber, finely diced
- 24 Kumomoto, small West Coast oysters originally from Japan
- 2 ounces Wasabi flavored whitefish caviar
Make the mignonette
In a small bowl whisk together the ginger, shallots, vinegar, sugar and soy until the sugar is dissolved. Place in a container and refrigerate for at least two hours.
Assemble the oysters
Shuck the oysters, carefully separating top and bottom shells so you don't lose any of the juices; place shucked oysters over crushed ice and discard top shell. Sprinkle each oyster with diced cucumber. Stir the mignonette and spoon a small amount over the cucumbers, just enough to bathe the oyster. Place a generous dollop of the whitefish caviar on the top and serve.
Yield: 24 oysters