Recipe: Stuffed Roasted Strawberries
- 12 extra-large strawberries (the bigger the better!)
- 1 to 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Spray whipping cream (the real kind in the can in the dairy section)
- Cocoa powder, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the tops of the berries off just below the stem. Cut the tips off (about 1⁄4 inch), so that the berries will sit upright. Next, use a small spoon or a melon-ball scoop to hollow out the strawberries, working from their tops, to create a cavity in each one. Stuff some chocolate into the cavity of each strawberry and place them upright in a baking dish. Lightly sprinkle the berries with sugar, if using. Roast the berries until soft and the chocolate is melted, 10 to 12 minutes.
To serve, place 3 strawberries on a dessert plate in a triangle. If the berries have given off liquid in the baking dish, spoon it over them. Spray a small mound of cream in the center of the berries, and top each berry with a rosette of cream. Sift a little cocoa powder over the plate, and serve!