Recipe: Soba Noodle Salad
- For the sesame wasabi dressing
- 1-3/4 cups mayonnaise (Hellman
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese rice wine, such as Kikkoman brand)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (Kikkoman brand)
- 1 teaspoon sugar, white
- 1 teaspoon Chef Paul Prudhomme
- 3/4 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1/2 teapsoon sesame seeds, white
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, black
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil, toasted (Kadoya brand)
- For the soba salad
- 8 ounces soba noodles (Japanese buckwheat noodles), dry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, julienne
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, julienne
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, julienne
- 1/2 cup onion, julienne
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, toasted (Kadoya Brand)
For the sesame wasabi dressing
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Whisk until fully combined. Set aside and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the soba salad
Cook the soba noodles in boiling water until they are pliable but still slightly firm in the middle (al dente). Immediately place the noodles in a colander and run cold water over them, tossing them under the water until they are completely cool to the touch. Set aside the noodles.
Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the onions. Cook, stirring, until the onions are brown on the edges, about 2 to 4 minutes. Add the red, yellow and green bell peppers. Cook until bell are just heated through and bright colored, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the vegetables from heat and cool to room temperature. Combine the vegetables, soba noodles, sesame oil and Sesame Wasabi Dressing. Toss well until combined.
all ingredients should be at room temperature.
Makes 2 to 4 servings