Recipe: Open-Faced Grilled Vegetable Sandwich With Fresh Mozzarella and Pesto Vinaigrette
- 6 ciabatta rolls or 1 loaf of crusty country style bread; rolls cut in half horizontally, bread sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 red bell peppers, each cut into sixths
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- Olive oil, as needed for grilling
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- For the pesto vinaigrette
- 2 tightly packed cups of basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Additional salt and pepper as needed
Lightly brush all vegetables with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill over medium-high heat until tender.
For the pesto vinaigrette
Place basil leaves, pine nuts and garlic in food processor. Add a small pinch of salt and grind to a paste. With machine running, slowly add the oil. Transfer sauce to a bowl and stir in the cheese and the lemon juice by hand. Correct seasoning.
To assemble sandwiches
Spread each side of ciabatta or slice of bread with a little pesto vinaigrette. Layer on the grilled vegetables, top with sliced mozzarella, and garnish with more pesto vinaigrette. Serve open-faced.