NEW YORK — Sean “Diddy” Combs and Jay-Z have pledged $1 million to the American Red Cross to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.
More from TODAY.com
'Happy' dancing kid at steals the spotlight at basketball tournament
Sometimes the best entertainment at sporting events isn't on the court. This was the case last week at the Kentucky High S...
- Want to be 105? Check your genes
- 'Spampocalypse': Mass-email chain sparks emotions, jokes and a picnic
- Romney talks boxing, going 'all Putin on' Savannah in first Meerkat
- 'Holy cow!' Drew Barrymore talks 'saggy and weird' post-baby body
- 'Happy' dancing kid at steals the spotlight at basketball tournament
The two rappers announced their donation Thursday, saying they hoped to inspire others, especially blacks, to give.
“This is our community,” Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter told The Associated Press by phone. “When I turn on CNN, I see a lot of black people on the streets. I know it’s other people too, but those projects have been hit hard.”
Combs agrees. “We are all descendants from each other’s families. When you hear black people say ‘brothers’ and ‘sisters,’ it’s really true. These are all people that I know I’m related to somehow, some way — the human race family.”
Former New Orleans Mayor Marc Morial, now president of the Urban League, said Thursday that those left in the city “are people who are African-American mostly but not completely, and people who were of little or limited economic means. They are the folks, we’ve got to get them out of there.”
Jay-Z said he had put in calls to NBA star LeBron James and rapper Kanye West for donations.
Also on Thursday, Celine Dion and the partners of her Las Vegas show, “A New Day” — companies Concerts West/AEG Live and Dragone — pledged a $1 million donation to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.
© 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.