Video: Make enchiladas for Cinco de Mayo
Recipe: Green chicken enchiladas
- 1 pound tomatillos, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 small onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 11/2 pounds boneless, skinless
- cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 6 ounces cotija cheese or feta cheese
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 20 corn tortillas
- 6 ounces queso fresco or
- Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cilantro (optional)
1. Make enchilada sauce by placing tomatillos in small saucepan; add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until tomatillos are tender. Strain tomatillos and discard cooking liquid. Place tomatillos in blender or food processor with garlic, onion, cilantro and broth; purée until smooth. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add flour and stir until brown. Add enchilada sauce to skillet. Stir to combine. Lower heat and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. In mixing bowl, combine chicken, cotija cheese and 3 tablespoons enchilada sauce.
3. Heat 1 cup oil in medium skillet. Dip each tortilla, 1 at a time, in oil until soft (about 10 seconds). Place tortillas on baking pan. Spoon one-fourth chicken and cheese mixture into tortilla. Roll up tortilla; place seam-side down into skillet.
4. Cover enchiladas with warm sauce. Top with queso fresco. Heat over medium heat 5 minutes or until warm. Garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Recipe: Mango guacamole
- 2 cups mango, finely diced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 3 serrano chiles, finely diced
- 1 large avocado, finely diced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Stir to combine.
© 2013 NBCNews
Discuss: What did you think of this recipe?
How many stars would you give the dish? If you made changes, tell us how you customized it.