Video: Bob Harper’s veggie carbonara, shake help shed pounds fast
Recipe: Apple pie shake
- 1/2 small banana, frozen
- 1/2 apple, sliced
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- 1 tbsp almond butter
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Recipe: Chimichurri steak
- 1 cup bell peppers, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 4 ounces lean round steak
- For the chimichurri sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 1 tsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsps low-sodium chicken broth
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the skillet with olive oil spray and add the bell peppers and red onion. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes and spinach. Heat through, stirring, until the spinach wilts. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
Place the steak in the hot skillet and cook for at least 3 minutes on each side.Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Meanwhile, combine the parsley, cilantro, mint, garlic, lemon juice and broth in a food processor or blender and process until coarsely blended.
Cut the steak into strips and serve on top of the vegetables. Drizzle the chimichurri sauce over the steak.
Recipe: Veggie carbonara
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 large zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/3 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup cooked whole-grain or gluten-free spaghetti
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini, garlic, tomatoes, crushed red pepper and broth. Stir and cover. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the cooked pasta and fold it into the sauce. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes, until heated through.
Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Slowly pour the eggs into the pasta while stirring. Continue to stir until the eggs are cooked through.
Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
© 2013 NBCNews
Discuss: What did you think of this recipe?
How many stars would you give the dish? If you made changes, tell us how you customized it.
Make creamy coleslaw for your summer barbeque
Even if you’re dairy sensitive, you don’t have to miss out on delicious coleslaw. Celebrity chef Melissa d’Arabian demonst...
- Bake a deliciously creamy Key lime pie
- Serve up savory beef strips with creamy tomato sauce
For the last year, Al has been begging the vice president to join TODAY’s Take and it finally happened! That was just one of the many surprises for Roker on his big day.
First, 50th-birthday celebrations were in order for TODAY’s Hoda Kotb. Now, co-anchor Al Roker, who joined the national broadcast in 1996, is celebrating the big 6-0 and he's sharing six lessons he learned along the way.
video Some famous faces send along happy birthday messages for TODAY’s Al Roker. “You make 60 look hot,” said Heidi Klum.